ABF 16v engine + ZXR750 bike carbs into mk2 1.6 driver

Discussion in '16-valve' started by geneticmaterial, Jun 22, 2010.

1. geneticmaterial

geneticmaterial Forum Member

I know. Get all the bad karma out the way for the installation:lol:

yadda yadda yadda Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. yadda

engine to be picked up today and delivered tomorrow.

BUZZ to the nth degree of ING

Good result:thumbup:

2. geneticmaterial

Hello engine!!!!!

and mikalor clamps!!!!

will be stripping the engine tonight hopefully (only ancillaries and injection gubbins, not rebuild), clean up first though because it's mucky...

Then try and knock up the manifold, if it doesn't work will be attempting some 45mm runners with durafix!

The engine came with the ABF gearbox on it with inner CVs and the DPipe so these are for sale;);) along with upper manifold and some other bits including ABF dizzy.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what exhaust are you going with? the abf downpipe is useful because if you get a MK3 cat bypass pipe you can fit a mk2 16v exhaust straight onto it :thumbup:

4. geneticmaterial

well the manifold is still on, I thought I couldn't use the ABF manifold because it would catch and wouldn't fit well. The exhaust on the car has a KR back box and replacement 'suitcase':lol: mid box then downsized to the driver mid pipe....

5. rubjonny

nah the abf downpipe fits perfect on a mk2, as i say get yourself a mk3 cat bypass and an oem 16v zaust bolts right up. i used the miltek cat bypass on mine fits perfect :thumbup:

6. geneticmaterial

buzzin. will do that!!!

Stripped most of the gubbins off today, loads of electrical shizzles, some were already cut etc as mentioned before but have retained this for the plugs in case I need them.

Manifold off and all that lot etc..

Also got the gearbox off but haven't tackled the clutch.

Quite a productive day considering I have only hand tools and none of these are power tools!

Sore back though from getting it off the 2 pallets it came on!

Realised as well that it has the AC and PAS pump still on. Cool.

In reg to getting a vac for the brake servo do you thinkI could use the injector rail from the ABF with the injectors taken out??

7. rubjonny

i'm not convinced myself, as i say you can get brass nipples for the job just need to drill n tap a hole. you'll need to block up the injector holes though. just a case of having a look and seeing what you can do with it

8. geneticmaterial

was just a thought, took the rail apart and it wasn't what I expected inside, I think there is just a vac pipe connected along with it. Sack that off then.

Like I said I will be having a mess about with that durafix stuff so will sort some nipples for the servo and ecu vac takeoff.

Will just one cylinder provide enough vac?

9. rubjonny

depends on the carbs you are using i think, might be worth getting a nipple in each and jointing them up? not really an expert tbh!

10. geneticmaterial

Took the injectors out and they are all connected with an internal pipe that exits on the left of this picture.

[​IMG]

I think the take off and the valve on the top are closed and there is also a usable take off on the top too.

Think I will give it a try as it will give a good fit and vac from all cylinders.

When i suck through any one of the injector holes and block off the others there is a slight leak fron the where the casing joins or maybe where the wires enter the rail on the right, but this is very small and it is not yet clamped down to the manifold.

11. rubjonny

it should be sealed 100%, after all its supposed to have pressurised fuel running through it!

12. geneticmaterial

oh yeah.[:$]:lol:

so i'll be using the fuel feed as the servo takeoff, and the return valve will stay shut as there is no vac opening it.

I'll try it clamped down to the manifold with the three bolts too.

13. geneticmaterial

works a treat!

No leak at all when the holes are blocked up.

Hopefully I can get it all to fit once the carbs are on too.

14. geneticmaterial

Will have the driver engine and box out in the next few weeks.

Once I have them side by side I'll swap the box etc over

Just need a brief step by step guide on;

1 - removing the abf pressure plate, clutch and fly

2 - removing the 1.6 PP, clutch and fly

3 - refitting the 1.6 PP clutch and fly to the abf block

Just really the order of the parts as I believe that these two engine are assembled in a different order?

What bolts are reusable so I can get them in advance?

this is just a temporary fitment till the clutch or diff gives up or until I get more cash for the GTI setup, whichever.:lol:

any help really appreciated

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  15. rubjonny

the 12 outer flywheel bolts are reusable, the 6 inner pressure plate ones are not. if you get a sachs clutch kit it will come with new pp bolts and spline grease. I strongly recommend you replace the clutch with a GTI 8v 210mm item, you'll also need a 210mm 1.8 carb/gti 8v/16v flywheel. re-using the old clutch is a bad idea, not only is it old but its only 190mm so probably wont be able to cope with the power.

to remove them get a friend to hold the crank still with a breaker bar on the 19mm bolt in the middle of the crank pulley, while you crack loose all the clutch/fly bolts. alternatively use brokes pp lock trick:
    [​IMG]

to reassemble, refer to the bentley. you dont need a centring tool just do it by eye. it only needs to be close enough that the gearbox physically fits, as soon as you push the clutch pedal it'll self-centre:
    http://www.oneilcastro.com/A2Bentley/TM01/ch5.2.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  16. geneticmaterial

Which mk3 decat pipes fit on the the ABF downpipe?

17. rubjonny

any mk3 2.0 ones, in fact i think the vr6 one fits too. the one i recommend is the miltek one, have it on my car and fits awesome. has 2 lambda holes as well so can run stock lambda on your managment and also run a 2nd one for an afr gauge if you like :)

18. geneticmaterial

I have my eye on a couple then!!

I shouldn't need a lambda though should I?

Would like AFR though!

19. rubjonny

probably not now no, but you never know what your future might bring ;)

ive learnt the hard way, when doing exhausts plan ahead and do it right the first time, ive put loads of them on my mk2 and its almost always a right pain in the **** :lol:

i fitted a cheaper one onto a mates abf swap, it needed cutting down a bit to fit but apart from that it was also a good fit. cant remember the make of it but it only had the 1 hole

20. geneticmaterial

True!!:thumbup:

Is there anything suitable that is usually used to plug these if they are unused or will they need to be ideally welded up?

Just need that and a mk2 16v dizzy then I've got everything!