ABF compression test

Discussion in '16-valve' started by tomasson, Feb 9, 2023.

1. tomasson Forum Member

Hi

I measured the compression in my stock ABF (dry, cold engine) and in all 4 cyl. was between 9,5-9,7 Bar. In repair manuals new condition is 10-13Bar, minimum 7,5Bar. But my concern is on many forums people tells much higher numbers and based on that 9 Bar is maybe too low. Whats the truth?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Forums offer opinons by a lot of folk just as blind as you might be. There is a lot of that out there and very few guru type contributors who can be arsed with sharing.
    What has prompted you to take time and run a compression check?
    And what are you referencing your outcomes against?

Sounds to me your engine is fine.

3. tomasson Forum Member

After 1-1,5 year pause i drive my MK2 again and it feels a little bit lazy (or maybe just my mind playing with me). Thats why i started looking things. There was an air temp issue, but i sorted out, no fault codes more but nothings changed.

4. Toyotec

It would not wear out by parking up.

You are suffering from the placebo effect, and not helped if you drive a modern car daily.

An ABF engined mk2 golf either works or does not.
    Even smoky ones can be pretty fast with the right bits on them, so it is a case of getting checked by someone who really knows what the engine should go like in your shell.

5. tomasson Forum Member

Yes, i guess you're right. All my dailys are newer, turbo charged cars, and i parked up the Golf just before i bought the other two.

6. Toyotec

I drive one of the cars in my signature - JENVEE. It is a weekly round trip of 116 miles per day. And not pootling about in lane one of the motorway either.
    However, if I were to a Golf R or my T5.1, or even my 3.2T on the same cycle, getting back into JENVEE feels odd. Even though nothing has changed.
    I would not be picking up a compression tester if that were the case. More likely I would need a pressure washer to blast off the crap, then rinse and repeat the process!

You would be fine.