ABF Engine - 16v 020 box replaced by 8v 020

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 2spicyy, Apr 25, 2022.

1. 2spicyy New Member

Hi all,

I currently have a bike carbed ABF engine with a 16v 020 gearbox. The gearbox and clutch is well on its way out with the infamous 2nd gear crunch and many other issues. I’ve just bought a 8v 020 with the code ACD. I’m obviously looking to buy a new clutch kit to go with this but don’t know what size I need. Is the only way to know by taking the box off and looking at what size flywheel is inside then getting the correct clutch for that? And if so, if the flywheel is 210mm, will this fit with the 8v ACD 020 gearbox?

Regards,

Ben

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Because of the age of these vehicles, and the likelihood someone has been tinkering with them, it's always safer to pop the box off and measure up.

The bellhousings of all 020s are the same size I'm 99.9% sure. So if what you have fits inside one 020, it should fit inside any other.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Only two plate splines fit the 020, 8V and 16V. No biggy really, once its in bits, count the splines, or fit a known friction plate for comparison
    Jon

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the only difference 8v to 16v is the size of the hole in the friction disc, genuine 16v pressure plate is stronger but most if not all aftermarket kits use the same one for both (I always use sachs) since you know the new box is ACD thats 8v, so you need a 1.8 8v clutch kit to match job done.

the only potential issue is if the last guy didnt use the correct 210mm flywheel, so check it fits the clutch kit just to be 100%. if its a 1.6 190mm or a diesel 200mm then all you need is any 1.8 carb or gti 8v/16v 210mm flywheel and you're good to go. if you end up with a carb flywheel only difference to gti is the diamond DC marker is set at 18 degrees rather than 6, but you're probably not using the factory ignition timing figures any more ;)

5. 2spicyy New Member

ok thanks, that’s perfect. So all I need is a clutch kit for EV/PB engine code. I’ve got a feeling the flywheel is going to be 210mm since the previous box was 16v GTI so fingers crossed.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah any 1.8 8v carb/gti mk1/2/cabrio/scirocco will do you fine. if the gearbox is 16v 2Y/AGB code then yeah it'll be 210mm flywheel since the only clutch kit that will fit that box is a 210mm 16v one :)

7. 2spicyy New Member

Just thought I’d update you, new clutch and box installed and it drives beautifully. Old clutch was in fairly good condition but the small pressure plate with the piece of metal in the middle had seemingly been knocked out by the rod within the gearbox and was basically causing the clutch to not engage at all so didn’t need a full change but I did it anyway.

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I got stranded when the release plate disintegrated on mine, no warning at all before hand.

9. 2spicyy New Member

I managed to drive mine around by turning the engine off then putting it in gear and starting back up

KeithMac likes this.