ABF into Mk1 Golf Conversion

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by LittleRubberPeople, Feb 6, 2012.

1. LittleRubberPeople

LittleRubberPeople New Member

So after a fair amount of skulking around reading threads, buying and selling of bits and bobs and generally scheming I think my plan for world domination is almost there!

That is, my plan for putting an ABF into my mk1 at least!

Depending on what day of the week it is, and what thread I've just read, I go from feeling massively daunted at the prospect of chuffing my car up, to feeling a pussy for not having done it already, on my drive, in the snow, in a day, with only the standard tool kit!

So due to relying on a friend (albeit a very good one) for garage space and expertise, and not wanting to be in his way for any longer than I have to, I thought it wise to run my plan of action past you good people to see if any of your genius I've been reading has gone in!

My car is an 83 Mk1 GTi, with the standard 1800 8v and the later blade type fuse box (ce1?!)

The donor is a 96 Mk3 GTI from which I have already pulled the 2.0 16v ABF (58k on the clock! [:D])

I plan to use the 020 from my car, enabling use of the standard Mk1 mounting points (with some trimming of the timing belt cover), and I have a full set of poly mounts and brackets.

This also means the original shafts are unaffected, and the cable clutch stays.

The box will get a check and freshen up, seals etc.

Am planning a new clutch, will a new standard Mk1 020 one be up to the job?

Also hoping to have my flywheel lightened if Hotgolf or anyone else can help with this?

Otherwise the 020 just bolts straight to the ABF?!

The current rod change gives a rather vague change, think crystal maze levels of skill to find gears, so I managed to get the last of Smudge's weighted kits :) This I think should cure that!

In removing the PAS and A/C pumps just the alternator and water pump to the bottom pulley, but they're on different belts, so I put a v belt pulley on the alternator and get a belt to fit?

I gather the Mk1 rad and fan set up provides sufficient cooling, but that the hoses may need some jiggery pokery to link the ABF block with the rad and header tank?

As my car is a GTi the fuel pump is up to the job, straight into to the ABF.

I intend to run the car on the ABF digi, at least for now, can't remeber if my ecu is an immobilised one or not, but since I have the key and halo, and the wiring maestro that is Rubjonny will be doing my loom (as soon as I send them to him!) I should be good?!

You may have gathered I'm playing it a bit safe, so apart from a timing belt I don't intend to mess with the motor much yet! once it's in and running I intend to up grade as I go, maybe with a full tear down/tune up/rebuild at a later date!

Our workspace is well equipped, and I have several knowledgeable/mechanic friends, and what I lack in mechanical savy I make up for in enthusiasm!

So any gaping holes that need plugging or helpful reminders/suggestions?! :thumbup:

Oh yeah, and I'm gonna keep the ABF manifold and down pipe (to retain the lambda sensor) at least til I can afford a supersprint or dubpower one! Just needing some welding magic to help it fit to the standard exhaust?!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. yep std mk1/2 210mm clutch kit is all you need, its what i use on my abf. hotgolf is your man for a lightened fly. bolt it to the abf, sorted :)

2. unbolt pas and ac, swap waterpump pulley for mk3 1.8-2.0 8v or 16v non-ac one, change belt for non-ac version that matches age of the abf engine. done!

3. yep use the mk1 rad and pipes, fit a mk1/2 bottom thermostat flange (and a new stat + seal, may as well!) you may have to take top pipe off the rad, flip it 180 degrees and cut it down a bit. the rest of the block pipes use mk3 abf ones, they should all bolt up fine tothe mk1 heater matrix pipes. buy a new rad from here:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290659162393

4. yep! if pipes are ok bend to driver side, push the threaded fittings back and clamp the abf pipes on with proper fuel pipe clips. if the pipes are shot you can bin the fuel accumulator, fit a braided m12x1.5 adaptor to the fuel pump then fit rubber fuel injection hose, or use 8mm copper pipe under the car with flares put on the end to hold the rubber lines either end.

5. yeah no worries there ;)

6. i would give the engien a full service, belts, crank sensor, ecu temp sensor, rocker gasket, leads, cap and arm before you put it in the car. the timing belt is dead easy as you only have to worry about the cam n crank sprocket timing, the int shaft only runs the pump and there is no ignition timing to worry about :thumbup:

7. abf downpipe wont fit at all, wrong shape. manifold can be used if you weld up your own downpipe, see my cabby mk1 16v build thread for pics of what mine ended up like. it still hit my gear linkage tho so i had to cut a notch out of the relay shaft! if you're going for a new downpiep later you dont need the lambda boss as it'll run ok without it, but then again since you have the welder out to make the dowpipe its silly not to put the bos in! plus it widens the market for it when you sell it on ;)

3. LittleRubberPeople

Thanks for that John, you're a star, it's amazing the confidence boost you get to crack on with a little reassurance that you're on the right track! [:D] Our lot have tackled more complex/modern stuff, but only ever modifying or building engines that were already there! It's this engine swapping palava that's got us all tentative!

On the subject of the loom/s, plans are afoot to get my car into the garage and pull the 8v so I can send them both to you, so will be pm-ing you for delivery and payment details shortly! ;)

May have to give more serious consideration to the manifold situation, any experience with Dub Power? Have seen a 4 into 1 which also comes with flexi section for 279? It's advertised as "mk1 16v conversion", not sure if its for the abf though?

Anyway, am sure more queries or problems will arise in due course but thanks for now! :thumbup:

4. rubjonny

unfortunatly not, if its not specifically listed for mk1 abf it probably wont fit though. hopefully someone can help with this!

re: the looms i dont need the one out of your car specifically, can be any mk1 golf with same fusebox as yours :)

5. LittleRubberPeople

Cheers John, I'll contact them for confirmation on the fitment!

Just one other thing I've thought of, I'm sure in my weeks of trawling through threads on this engine and putting it into a mk1 I've read you recommend that the coil pack be replaced with a mk2 item as the mk3 one is garbage? (sods law I can't seem to find the post I remember to reference now!) But that it needs a wire adding to make the rev counter work? Or am I getting mixed up with mk2 abf conversions?!

If this is something that needs addressing before I send you the looms so that connections etc are made accordingly please let me know if I need a specific mk2 coil?!

Ta! :thumbup:

6. rubjonny

I'll handle all that, dont worry ;)
    you just need to buy a mk2 golf coil, as the mk1 coil wont match your abf leads.

7. LittleRubberPeople

8. Blue MK2 Forum Member

I got some help of the main man on my abf mk1. ^ :thumbup:

I was dissapointed with the 8v box though (quite short gears). Would a mk2 16v box will be that little bit better?

9. rubjonny

no its same gear wise, except 5th is even shorter! if you have a later AUG 8v box that has a taller 2nd than the earlier 8v ACD and the 16v 2Y boxes. another option if you want taller gears is the 2.0 8v mk3 one thats a bit more relaxed, and if thats not good enough get a 4+e carby box or a diesel one :)

10. geneticmaterial

geneticmaterial Forum Member

:thumbup: as I have in my Mk2 abf on carbs.

11. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Hi have a Dub power manifold on my mk1 KR, its worth giving them a ring to see if they can do an ABF one, manifold quality is good as is their customer service. Im hoping to use the same manifold when I upgrade to the ABF block as mine sits low so I think there will be enough room to accommodate the taller block.

Good luck with the build :thumbup:

12. LittleRubberPeople

Many thanks guys, your input and support is much appreciated! :thumbup:

I'm going with the mk1 020 for now, mainly for ease, although I'll see how I get on with it as I'm keeping the 02A from the ABF and it's cables, tower and hydro clutch parts to install if necessary/if I fancy at a later date! ;)

Any opinions on the pros/cons of 020 rod shift vs 02A cable? Know the 02A is a stronger box, and has different ratios, but is there a noticable difference in the change feel?

Thanks for your Dub power feedback Tron, haven't got round to contacting them yet, hopefully they'll be able to help! [:D]

13. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

The hottunning 16v manifold fits the ABF.

14. LittleRubberPeople

Thanks James, as per pm will bear them in mind! :thumbup:

15. murph81 Forum Member

Good luck with the build, I'm also doing a mk1 abf conversion, athough I'm fitting itb's.

I would definitley change the crank sensor and fit a mk2 coil as RJ mentioned!

I fitted an abf on standard management to my mk2 and within the first week of driving the sensor and mk3 coil failed.

I'll be getting rid of a crank sensor with about 2k miles on it if you are interested, I have to fit a vr sensor for the itb;s so no longer need it.

I just got a Powersprint fourbranch for mine to go with the system, its the same as the Supersprint one, adjustable aswell, you should check them out!

16. LittleRubberPeople

Cheers Murph,

your build looks a bit spicier than mine! Will be looking into more power/improvements once I've got mine up and running as is! Hope yours goes well!

Powersprint system looks good, be interested to hear about the fit when you get it on! :thumbup:

PMd you re: the sensor

17. murph81 Forum Member

Standard abf will still be a belter in the mk1 Andy!

I'll do a bit of a write up in the build thread when I it the exhaust, should be straight forward enough I hope!

18. LittleRubberPeople

Just a quick update RE: the manifold.

Emailed Dubpower, got a reply from a very helpful guy called Peter who said the manifold listed as "Mk1 16v conversion" is available for both the short and tall blocks for the same price of 279 + P&P @ 15 (UK mainland), and they can supply to be welded in (5), or weld in for you (20) the lambda boss if your using the standard abf management as I am! [:D]

As per Tron's post and build thread the quality is/looks to be excellent, so seems a bargain at that price! Next thing on my shopping list I think! :thumbup:

Andy

19. murph81 Forum Member

Any updates Andy?

20. LittleRubberPeople

Hey Adam, loom's are off with Rubjonny, funds are nearly there for the manifold and exhaust, otherwise mainly just getting small parts together and stripping the car on my drive whilst waiting for my slot in the communal garage! Got a couple of GT4s and a Cossie in the way at the mo but it's my turn next and I reckon I'll have made enough progress to make it worth starting a build thread soon so watch the members rides section! [:D]