ABF ISV wiring diagram?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Sully114, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Sully114 Forum Member

Hi does anyone have a easy to follow ABF ISV wiring diagram?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Willber Forum Member

Can someone please tell me where the black wire from the ISV 2-pin connector is supposed to be connected/spliced into round the back of the inlet manifolf? My ISV is not doing anything as this wire is not connected! Please tell me where I can tap into so it will idle properly :)

4. Willber Forum Member

The black wire is pin no.1 on the engine multi-plug. It is connected OK at the multi-plug end but further round it has a wire spliced into it then one running off round the back of inlet which is not connected. Both ISV's I have make a clicking noise when 12v is put through them, they need a pulsed signal to buzz and work properly when ign. Is switch on as far as I know. Is the non-connected black wire stopping the pulsed signal?

5. Willber Forum Member

Right so I found the problem..........dodgy connection for the white wire (neg) on the ISV plug - it just pulled out!

I cut the plug off as was not able to re-use it and touched the bare wires against the terminals on the ISV - buzzed like a goodun [:D]

Taped all wires up and then went to turn ignition back on and nothing!! Re-stripped tape and touched wires against terminals and nothing......bizarre!

When connected straight off the battery the ISV makes a single click noise as it should - so don't think it's dead.

Really cant understand why it now doesnt seem to work!! Checked fuse 15 and it was OK.

Any thoughts??

6. rubjonny

check that black wire that goes round the back of the inelt, it runs to the breather heater plug which is unused on the mk2. the wires to this and the tps/idle switch like to bake hard back there and split, then short out. this blows the engine electrics fuse #15 which also stops the isv working.

i always bin off the breather heater wiring as it doesnt do anything! recommended to take the loom off the block entirely and completly strip it down, even if the loom tape looks ok the wiring underneath can still be all cracked. ive not seen an abf loom yet that didnt need a repair here

7. Willber Forum Member

Hi John,

I have already done this, and removed the plug which does nothing. At least I now know where the black wire is supposed to go to.

I really can't get my head round why it worked when I touched the wires on, and now it doesnt!! As I said it clicks when connected to 12v so should be working??

I guess I will have to strip the lot off and see if there is damage elsewhere, no damage at all to the black wire as far as I can see though and have traced it right back. Maybe it is a problem with the white wire.....

Fuse 15 is fine also! Very irritating.

8. rubjonny

is it definitely not working? the abf isv can be almost silent when its on so you have to touch it with your fingers to check it normally. break out the multimeter and make sure you're seeing 12v at the black wire with the ignition on for starters, then check for continuity from the white wire all the way back to the ecu, as per the abf diagram above. you'll have to click the link in my sig and find it there though as i cant direct link via my web redirect anymore

9. Willber Forum Member

Yep, deffo not working. It buzzed when I first touched the wires onto it, switched ign. off and taped/secured wires then turned ignition on and nothing! You could hear it can feel it, was very obvious. All I get now is a small arc from which ever terminal I take the wire off first (this is when touching with bare wires)

Will nick a tester from work and see if I can get 12v like you said.

10. rubjonny

it could be the isv is duff then, i had similar problems when it was on kr managment. it was odd sometimes it woudl work sometimes nothing. in the end i put another one on and sorted! kr and g60 use same isv as abf if it helps

11. Willber Forum Member

I did think that. I have 2, one off the abf and one off my old PB. One of them does not click when connected straight to battery so that is dead.

I will check the wiring is OK tonight and then hopefully that will tell me whether I need a new ISV or need to repair wiring elsehwere!

Can I twist the black and white wire together and take a reading or will this not help?

12. rubjonny

no just take a reading from black wire to battery -ve with your meter, and check white wire from isv to ecu for continuity :)

13. Willber Forum Member

Got it - cheers John. What pin is it on the ECU out of interest?

14. rubjonny

15. Willber Forum Member

OK so I have 12v on the black wire, and continuity to ECU on the white wire, so the wiring is ok. I re-connected everything and the Isv was buzzing very very quietly and was unable to feel it at all. The car will not idle from cold still.

I am going to try a new ISV off ebay I think for the sake of it @ 55. At least then i know it is OK and if the car will still not idle then it must be something else.

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

How about the throttle closed switch?

17. Willber Forum Member

Do you mean if its not adjusted correctly? Or if it's not working?

It clicks OK when throttle returns, is there a way to test it?

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Continuity test using a multi meter across terminals. clicking doesn't mean its working.

19. Willber Forum Member

Got ya! Will try that tomorrow then.

20. rubjonny

i found the idle switch made bugger all difference to the idle on mine even when disconnected