abf running on k jet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by uby, Mar 24, 2010.

1. UBY

uby Forum Member

cheers mike any tips when viewing the engine ? obviusly make sure the engine turns or is it gona one of those ones where youle find out the condition when it comes to firing it up

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Buying a 2nd hand engine is a bit of a gamble really. ABF engines are fairly strong though, and seem to do over 200k miles if looked after

If it turns over, that's the first thing to check - You don't want one that's jumped the cambelt and bent the valves.

Have a look at the state of the oil in the dipstick and inside the cam cover. If the vendor will let you, take the cam cover off, check the state of the cams, and look for black sludgy oil deposits. If the cam chain is loose, it'll need replaced.

Also, if the inlet tappets are down flush with the head casting at the top of the tappet bores, then it's got bent inlet valves (the result of a slipped cambelt).

On the engine management debate... from your first post, it sounds like Storm are planning to fit the digifant wiring, and remap the ECU (they'll have to, to get near the power they're quoting). That's probably the best route to follow, if the person doing the remap is good at it, as you'll get a more accurate result than with tweaked Kjet.

My 2nd preference would be tweaked Kjet, which will give good results, but not optimum.

You should get Storm to give you clearer info on what they're going to do for 550. If they're fitting the engine, changing to digi management, remapping the ECU, and checking the results on their rolling road, that's pretty good value.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

You need to also remember that the MK3 16v GTI has taller gear ratios, which will have a big impact on fuel economy. However, I'd agree with you that the digifant system has the potential to be a bit more economical.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Better combustion design, lambda 1 part load operation, ECU with improved control features, including timed injection and longer 1st to 3rd gears and having to meet new EU1and 2 requirements, would have a great part in contributing to these real world experiences.

5. theboymike Forum Junkie

What Mike H says :p

Cheers guys.. didn't think about the gear ratios.

Toyotec, what do you mean by better combustion design? Are the pistons substantially different in the ABF? I was under the impression that the head was the same, although I know the cams are different. Figures about the map.. thanks for your insight :)

6. UBY

uby Forum Member

thanks a million people . to be honest i cant say which way ime going to go but atleast now i know the pros and cons . going to give storm another call , maybe i need some one to make my mind up for me . but one thing i do know is i like the sound of more mpg
    cheers uby