ABF running r1 bike carbs wiring help!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by matchowmk1, Apr 25, 2023.

1. matchowmk1

matchowmk1 Paid Member Paid Member

I decided to go down the bike carb route on my mk1 golf ABF, i got hold of a Danst engineering full Yamaha r1 kit running a wasted spark ignition and nodiz pro gen 2 ecu but unfortunately the plugs had been damaged on the ecu loom so I’ve had to work out the wiring to fix it. I’ve sorted the Tps and the coil wiring but I can’t seem to find any diagrams for how to wire up the standard abf crank sensor to the ecu? The plug was badly bodged when I got the kit so I’ve replace the plug for a Deutsch plug but I’m not sure which wire got where?

C2749E2B-53D2-4E8D-A6D1-C203D2CCD374.jpeg 10911F25-5E86-4ACB-8319-BCDC29E69B73.jpeg

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its a hall effect sensor, but since you've lost the original plug its going to take some trial and error to figure out what wire is which since VW diagrams dont cover the sensor side

I would assume though red is power, black earth and yellow signal

3. matchowmk1

That would be why I can’t find any diagrams then!:lol: I’ve still got the original hella crank sensor side plug as I cut it off to fit the Deutsch plug so I can find out what colour goes to what pin on the sensor side I was missing the ecu side plug which is the black, red and shield which I thought would be the earth? But then I have a black wire too?

4. matchowmk1

I did read somewhere that if I can work out the earth then just plug in the other 2 wires then if it revs past 4K smoothly I’ve got them the right way round if not swap them round? Does that sound right to you?

5. matchowmk1

:lol:This is the pin out for the nodiz gen 2 ecu
    FF6D113F-8731-4DC0-8B95-E6E435339F1B.png 0C69BEF3-7A2E-4434-921A-5498EE173C17.jpeg
    and this is how I got the loom but someone had broken the wire inside the plug and cut all the plastic away to repair it rather than re pinning the plug! But I’m confused as I can’t find the original color wires for the abf?

6. rubjonny

right looking at the manual, the nodiz ECU expects a VR sensor for the crank. from the manual:

You must replace the stock HALL sensor with a VR type. You can use the VW part VW 021 907 319B normally
    used on MK3 golf 1.6, which is a drop in replacement to a modern VR type sensor. With this VR type, Pin 1 of
    the sensor should go to the black crank sensor wire, and pin 2 should go to the white crank sensor wire. Pin 3
    should be left unconnected. You can see this wired as per the image below to the VW 021 907 319B crank
    sensor connector

*If you do not get a solid LED when cranking on the NODIZ ensure that you
    have set the NODIZ to 60-2 mode, then, try swapping pins 1 & 2 in the crank
    sensor plug.

7. matchowmk1

ah ok that makes abit more sense thank you! I’ll try and get it sorted over the bank holiday weekend.:thumbup:

8. matchowmk1

When I got the bike carb kit I brought it as a complete engine so I’m thinking the spare engine should have the correct VR type crank sensor on it? I’ll have a look when I get home from work but would it have a part number on it at all or any way I can tell if it has the right sensor on my donor engine?

9. rubjonny

its possible yeah, may or may not have a number depends what make it is. if you wave something metal at it you should be able to test it that way:

10. matchowmk1

Perfect thanks for all your help:thumbup: