ABL injection pump removal - time/effort?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Trev16v, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Apparently a local scrapyard has a 1.9TD T4 van in like mine, and I thought of going to grab the injection pump out of it just to have as a spare. I don't actually need it, so CBA if it's going to need lots of fecking about and / or special diesel locking tools.

I've not yet found any removal guide online, but I have a PDF that details how to remove the 1Z injection pump which I assume is physically similar. It looks like it's necessary to remove the valve cover, lock the cam, then lock the pump sprocket and remove that before the pump can be removed, etc.

However given that it's at the scrapyard, can it just be a matter of cutting the cambelt and using any old bar to lock the sprocket while I unbolt it?

Basically if it's really involved I won't bother, but if I can grab it out in an hour or two tomorrow morning, I would like to.

TIA :)

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I got a 1Z injection pump off easily, for the same reason.

The only extra I needed was a puller to get the drive wheel off with.

3. Trev16v

Ah cool, did you just cut the belt then and shove something into the sprocket to lock it? I have a puller.

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

If you want another pair of hands to help Trev, I'm not doing much. :)

5. danster Forum Addict

Easy enough to remove injection pump. 20 mins should have it off. No need to have cam cover off either, that is just for setting the timing when refitting pump or doing a timing belt.

But make sure it is the same pump as yours first. Some of the later IDI pumps probably had some extra leccy connections for emission shizzle. [xx(]
    Immobiliser if fitted over the fuel cut-off solenoid is easily removed with some accurately aimed gratuitous violence.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Long nose 10mm or 13mm half inch socket

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Trev

Did you get the injection pump ?

Looks like i could do with the Injectors :thumbup:

8. Trev16v

I didn't grab the injectors unfortunately mate - perhaps should have really. Might go back for another visit.

I got the pump in the end, but only complete with the injector lines (that I disconnected from the injectors), sprocket, etc.

EZ_Pete and Zaphod were good to give me a hand on that day so we got loads of bits off it in the end - wheels, rear suspension springs, diesel pump, etc.

Chances are this injection pump is probably fine. The reason for the van being scrapped was because a glow plug had come apart and the positive contact had shorted against one of the injector pipes resulting in a blown glow plug fuse. So what looked like a perfectly good T4 scrapped just for that!

9. Brookster

Did the injection Pump have an LDA fitted ? if not its a good upgrade for the ABL if your increasing the Boost at all. One of the Lads on the T4Forum did it and got a nice 106bhp / 170lb/ft :thumbup:

info here -
    http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=158154&page=2

:)

72bhp as standard
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  10. Trev16v

That's really good; TBH could do with modifying it for extra power some point this year as it gets a bit sad having HGVs overtake you (something I think standard 1.9TD T4 owners have to get used to)...

Not sure what kind of pump it is I took off. I took some images but will have to post them up later in the week. Barely looked at it since removing it but just remember it being Bosch, which I presume all are!

11. Brookster

Yeah they are all Bosch

i got sick of being overtaken by HGV's when going up hills in my 2.4D

So now it has a nice K14 2267 Turbo fitted from a Volvo V70 / Audi AEL Engine [:D]