ABS prob on 52-plate Polo

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by EZ_Pete, Jul 22, 2010.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Hi Folks,

E-mail from a mate this morning with (52-plate) Polo trouble. ABS light on the dash, no other probs noticed. Backstreet garage are telling him that:
    "the ABS-ECU reports a "fault" but nothing more useful than that"

Also
    I tried a little searcharoo on clubpolo, and a few threads seemed to suggest nearside front sensor as a common problem. Should a 'proper' garage be able to get more info from the diagnostic port? I don't have VAGCOM, but would that see the necessary info?

Ta for any tips. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah, they might just be using a generic reader - need it on VAGCOM.

I'd just point him to VW if you've not got the software

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Thanks fella. :thumbup:

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

He's bringing it over for me to have a look at tomorrow. The first garage used a Snap-On scan tool, and persuaded him that it would read everything that VAGCOM would (I have doubts). They reckoned there were codes for 'pump fault', 'controller fault' and 'wiring fault'.
    Seems wildly improbable that there are really three separate problems, so it has to be the 'tronics bit having got its knickers in a knot I reckon.

In the meantime I found this thread which is interesting. Right up my street ripping stuff open like that. Anyone know if an ABS unit on a 52-plate Polo looks like the one in this link?

Wonder if he'll let me have a go? :lol:

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Time for a bit of closure on this one.

Mate came back with it today, since the MOT's due next week.

The legend on here that is Dougie kindly suggested I check supply and ground to the ABS system, given the multitude of reported fault codes.

Turns out there are some crappy little ber-cheap fuses in a 'box' on top of the battery.
    Open to air and prone to corrosion. We'd checked these the first time he came here, but the crack wasn't visible through the corrosion. Didn't check it electrically [:$].

Same problem as described here, but a lot more corrosion on this fuse than the pictured one.

Nice cheap/quick/easy fix! [:D]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010