ABS sensor change and I've lost spark!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bordonbert, Aug 4, 2009.

1. bordonbert New Member

Hi guys. I posted this in Electrical but realised that the ABS/Engine connections might mean I don't get too much exposure. Thought it may be beter in Engine. Hope this is ok to repost here.

Just changed an ABS front wheel sensor on the Mk3. Easy 20 minute job. Wheel off, brakes and disc off, gently drift sensor out, fit new one, refit brakes and torque up. Et voila!

Now the SOB won't start. It drove home fine but after the work I have completely lost all spark to the distributor. I didn't even open the bonnet to do the work! Anyone any ideas as to what has gone wrong? It has run perfectly happily with the old open circuit sensor in place for a while, so disconnecting and reconnecting the new one should make no difference surely? The ignition was off while I did the work of course and the old sensor showed open circuit on the meter as expected.

I have even tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for 10 minutes then reconnecting as I can recall hearing chat about CPUs resetting themselves after a power down. No difference. Maybe needs longer?

Any thoughts really welcome.