Accumulator housing top hose size

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by dub303, Feb 20, 2017.

1. dub303 Forum Member

I'm almost done collecting everything I need to stop a leaking pump and replace rusted accumulator and Hoses.
    The last thing I noticed from researching it is two short lengths of fuel hose that connect the top 2 plastic inputs on the housing to the blue plastic fuel lines.
    I'm guessing mine will be knackered but don't know the size. Anyone know?
    This pic is stolen but I mean the short black ones on the right with 2 crush clips on each.
    What size hose and clips please?
    Just so I can do a quick swap without having to run off to the shops

[​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

those are 7mm i/d, 8mm will be close enough :)

vw part number for the fuel clips is N 10196901, remark '14.8' whatever that means. 69p+VAT each

3. dub303 Forum Member

Thank you RJ... one or two more possibly dumb questions. Those two short bits of hose are connected differently. The upper one (return I think) just has a hose clamp at each end. The lower one (from tank?) has one clip on the accumulator housing end and a kind of metal collar on the blue plastic hose end. I have tried googling what this is but still don't know.

Can I just cut it and slide the 7mm ID hose over it with a clamp like the lower one, or do I need to find a whole new hose with this fitting? How come the hose clamps don't crush the plastic fuel lines, are they really that tough or is there something in it!

Also, less of an issue, but the 2 short banjo hoses from the metering head that then connect to the long fuel lines, would I have to have these made or are they available? no idea what to search for. (might get away with painting mine for now).

Cheers.

4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

The blue nylon fuel lines are very tuff , in some applications there's a metal insert to ensure no crushing . I don't know if that's the case here though .
    The nylon hose becomes mailable when heated in boiling water or hot oil , it goes soft and can be shaped easily it then becomes rigid again when cooled .

5. dub303 Forum Member

Good knowledge cheers.

Mine leaked when I put it all back together but think it was because I didn't use a proper tool to crush the hose clamps. Another arm and face full of fuel removing it to fit screw clamps, and I cut a bit off the end that had cracks. Not 100% convinced it will hold but if it fails again, I guess I'll just have to cut it and fit new hose to both and see if there is anything in there to stop it crushing the plastic hose. I'll buy the proper tool then too and fit the ear clips again, don't want to do this job again!

6. rubjonny

the metal collar is just a fancy crimp, cut that off and then you can remove the rubber hose same as you did the other side :)

mk2 plastic lines do have metal collars inside to prevent crushing, so its all good :thumbup:

7. dub303 Forum Member

Awesome, will buy some 7mm ID hose now and replace it at weekend. Cheers guys for helping once more.

8. dub303 Forum Member

All finally fitted and so far leak free. There is indeed a small metal ring in the hose. I left the fancy crimp one on as that hose wasn't in bad nick. The rest is all shiny like. Cheers.

[​IMG]

Sirguydo likes this.
  9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Phwaaaar that gorgeous :thumbup:

Top job

10. rubjonny

lovely job! be sure to give it a nice coat of underseal before it goes in to keep it fresh. I was lucky enough to bag an accumulator of n old kjet 8v that had a load of extra stuff sprayed on, it was like new underneath

11. dub303 Forum Member

Good tip. The subframes and parts of the underseal need attention so could get that done at the same time.