Advance/Retard directions?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by onnie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. onnie Forum Member

Hi,

I've been searching all day long for this simple answer but can't find it anywhere!

Looking at the distributor cap from the passenger side (NSF) which direction advances ignition timing and which retards it?

This is for a KR 1.8 16v.

Thanks.

2. chrisbex123 Forum Member

clockwise from nsf advances:thumbup:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you use a timing light on the flywheel, advancing is where you move the timing further away from the flywheel punch mark, retard is in the other direction. i.e. like this, big diamond is 6 degrees before top dead centre, small punch mark is top dead centre:
    [​IMG]

4. onnie Forum Member

Thanks mate! [:D]

cheers Johnny this is good info, I was actually wondering which was the 6degree and tdc marks but the problem is after the RR on sunday, I got home and got the gun out the garage to time it but discovered it was dead :/ I can't be bothered to pay 50 for another one from helfrauds so I'll just have to use the arsedyno tonight on the way home ;)

5. onnie Forum Member

I've advanced the timing a little, very near the end of adjustment on the distributor though. So not quite sure whats going on there?

Car felt good on the way home, I couldn't hear any pinking but when idling the revs bounce up and down from 900ish to 1200ish. Weird.

6. onnie Forum Member

I bought a timing gun today.
    After having a good look, I don't seem to have that big diamond, only the small punch mark.

How comes? How do I achieve 6deg BTDC?

7. rubjonny

odd. is it an 020 box and flywheel? haynes has the info you need to make your own mark, use the EV measurement:
    [​IMG]

alternatively if you get a gun with advance built in you can dial in 6 degrees then line it up using the punch mark. or guestimate it by eye, spin the dizzy till the punch mark sits bout where it does in the flywheel piccy in my first post

8. onnie Forum Member

Yeah I got one with an advance built in.

First with the engine off, I turned the engine around until everything was TDC. Then I marked crank, cam, and punch mark with tippex, everything looked aligned nicely.

Started car, dialled in 6deg on the gun, and then turned the dizzy until the punch hole appeared in the middle of the view hole.

Is this all correct?

Thanks for the help John!

9. rubjonny

aye thats the one!

10. onnie Forum Member

OK Thanks mate.

I'm off to buy a gas analyser now. I wanna get dyno'd again! Its addictive eh!