Advice for a friend looking to buy his first 'weekend' car

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by saladman, Jan 21, 2024.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

A good mate of mine is talking about a car for fun, to mess about with etc. General info:

• Budget up to £8k ish
    • Has a company car
    • 2 kids of high school age
    • Works full time
    • 2/10 previous car fettling experience
    • Bangs on about V8s and big hp
    • Wants to blast B roads etc
    • Wants something modern enough to be 'safe'
    • Likes idea of fettling on a project car
    • Garage full of stuff but has drive space
    • Wife won't let him buy a Ducati :')

As expected I'm recommending something VW and 90s-ish but he's looking at BMWs / Jags / Mercedes etc - I want to save him from a money pit.

I think he should avoid project cars and buy something that's in good usable condition - a better use of his money and time unless he really wants to get into the land of grubby fingernails and bleeding knuckles...

What do you think he should look at / buy, and any other advice? Any good stories of your friends' car (mis)adventures?

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

SAAB 9-3 / 9-5 Hirsch

Under valued, may be in budget / safe / v.fast / discrete for drive way parking / rare if that's your thing / owners club + Hirsch still exist for parts support.

3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

For that money all he is going to get is a money pit as I’m sure you told him. MK2 golfs are still great value and there are so many vr6 conversions available for sub £8k that got to be the way forward hasn’t it?

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

This (and still have money left over)
    1996 Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 16V Twinspark (carandclassic.com)

I had one of these and frankly, the engine is second to none and will last for ages - just change the cambelt and tensioners per the required frequency and the oil. The car handles like it's on rails and the exhaust note will keep a smile on your face.

5. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

If he would consider and edition 30 mk5, the guy who bought mine is selling after 4 years and I can absolutely vouch for the car 100%, best car I ever owned and the amount of history it has is unreal. 6.7k

Old enough to be "special" and at the same time safe to drive and has creature comforts.

If I didn't have 3 x mk2s and a good daily I'd have it back tomorrow.

6. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for advice everybody - have passed on to my friend who will almost certainly ignore it all haha

@RichardDarrenB thanks for the offer - I don't think he'll go for it but will PM for more details etc :)

I'll share back if and when my esteemed friend settles on his money pit of choice :hug: