Advice on 1.8t remap/upgrades you had

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by jc.., Sep 22, 2005.

1. Admin Guest

jc - have you investigated this any further? I am also just starting to look at option 2, and getting larger turbo, inejectors etc.

2. jc.. Forum Member

I have indeed.
    Avoid the KO4 option. You will spend the same money getting a KO4 but won't have the flexibility.
    I just bought a milltek system from a guy with an a4 quattro saloon, he did the ko4 and pulled it out as it didn't do what he hoped. now he has a garrett turbo (not sure which one).
    If you remap the KO4 to the late 200's or early 300's it is right on the edge of its capability. (so I am told) Not a good recipe for longevity.

You can get a garrett or IHI from the states for pennies and compared to buying a new or even 2nd hand KO4, you may as well get a new one.
    I am buying a prefabbed manifold and having the flange changed to allow my IHI conversion.
    I looked at custom manifolds but none really lit my fire.
    So far I have changed the induction and exhaust and am doing the rest as and when.
    I have the bigger bumper and am hoping to modify the internal structure to take a FMIC over the holidays.
    I am ordering a VF34 turbo, 565cc injectors and a high pressure pump (255 l/h) from the US for less than $1000 (600).
    I have an i/c in mind which will probably be around 500.
    So all in with a custom remap I reckon I can do this for around 2000k (half what Jabba quoted!)
    I am hoping for circa 330-350bhp

Turbo, injectors, pump - 600 (US)
    Intercooler - 500 (specced out)
    Exhaust - 100 (bought 2nd hand)
    Manifold and downpipe - 150 (US)
    Bumper - 150 (bought)
    Remap - 500 (havent actually decided on who to go to for this.)
    Pipework, ancillaries, oil cooler, induction - 100 (some bought)

3. Chris M Forum Member

I've gone with the K04 setup on my originalAUM engine. Got both the manifolds, turbo injectors etc for about 500 off ebay. Turbo was pretty new too.

Would have considered doing a IHI or garrett conversion but i was just gonna go for about 210bhp then got carried away :lol:

MRC Tuning have re-mapped both my cars, S2 twice, and i'd use them everytime. Good knowlege of the 1.8T too. http://www.mrctuning.com

Cheers,

Chris

4. jc.. Forum Member

Cheers, dropped them a line, good loocking website just no pages to go to!

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Have you considered one of the new eliminator kits from ATP Turbo.

You'll probably find a few companies will be importing these soon. I know Westec are looking at starting a group buy on seatcupra.net for transverse kits. The longitudinal kits have been out for a while. The use the Garrett GT28RS or GT28RX turbo and are a bolt on kit. Obviously you'd need to look into mapping so budget for another 600ish I recon for a custom jobbie.

6. jc.. Forum Member

I have looked at the Garrett stuff, lots of people have done them on Longitudinal engines.
    I email Dialynx and thats what they recomended (or at least that is what is on their audis UR,A6's etc)
    The Inconel manifold that APR have is v. nice but v. expensive as well.
    The APR and ATP kits are still $1600 before shipping, and that is just the turbo by the looks of it. The Scooby boys are all going IHI and they haev driven the US prices waaay down. Less than a grand ($) for turbo, injectors and fuel pump.

Don't know why I just kind of got carried away by the whole IHI idea, a) hasn't been done to death on my car, b) relatively cheap (<2000 all in) c) appears to offer a much better power vs lag return when set up properly, from the maps I have seen the power seems to come in at much lower revs. I don't know whether they do spool up faster than everything else or if they benefit from the roller bearing or not

I know a chap with a Garret'd A4 Quattro, it is not a GT28R*, bit smaller by the looks of it and I have to say if I was him I would be taking it off....think he was getting 270 out of it. for all the work involved he may as well have stayed with a mapped KO3s or KO4.

am fully milltek'd up now as well.
    can't stop smiling and the radio hasn't been on since [:D]

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

VF34 vs PE1820 on mine (PE1820 is also my new engine, VF34 was old std engine)

[​IMG]

8. jc.. Forum Member

wow, thats much flatter at the top end and holds its power for longer.
    Nice. Not quite ready for 400bhp. I will have stock internals for a while.

How much more did that turbo set you back? IYDMMA

9. jc.. Forum Member

Bill what MAF do you run on that?

10. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

its got a 3" full exhaust now and I can tell you top end is climbing now... no flat.. kicks hard >5500rpm. weird.. same level of boost just a surge of power up top it did'nt have before. must dyno it again to check and see whats going on.

MAF I currently run is an RS4 one... big bottomd muvva

11. jc.. Forum Member

ah ... that makes sense.
    i have been on the audi sport forum.

Trying to get a straight answer from remapping people on the way forward for MAF choice.
    Had:
    "standard is fine for 350bhp"
    "S3 MAF if going over 250bhp"
    "VR6 MAF" (still don't really get this one!
    "S3 MAF does not produce a reading at flow levels over 250+bhp"
    "you need an S4/RS4"

Cheers

12. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

See you on the 29th sounds like there's going to be some interseting results.

13. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Remember that the VR6 is a 2792cc/2861cc, as in think in terms of volume of air required. (If you take the motorsport mulitplier of 1.4 for forced induced engines, a 1781cc engine with a turbo will have a similar output to a 2493cc NA engine)

14. jc.. Forum Member

But the pins and voltages are completely different (IIRC)...No? Sounds like more work that is needed.

15. Mad Micks Forum Member

Is it possible to REVO a Skoda Octavia, 1.8 (150BHP) on a 2003 plate??... This REVO business sounds awesome...

16. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Yes it is. As above, depending on the turbo you will get between 200 and 230bhp.

17. mk1steve Forum Member

talk about a thread revival lol

18. Dan172 Forum Member

again, another thread revival(sorry) but i've used the search function ;)

I've got hold of a Golf GTI(mkiv) engine, i believe it to be an AGU.

I'm wanting, 300(or as near as poss) i'll be running Omex 600 managment, so stock ecu is redundant, as its not going in a golf shell. Speaking to a few people(bare with me i'm new to this german malarky ;) i'll get about 280 on a K04 with tt/s3(ph1) injectors?

any info much appreciated.

Dan