Advice Please - MK6 GTi v MK5 GTi

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by Shedjockey1, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Shedjockey1 New Member

Hoping to get some advice from anyone currently driving a Mk6 or Mk5 GTi or who has traded one for the other.

I know in a lot of ways these are similar but I'd like some opinions if possible...

After 13 years I've decided my MK3 GTi is a bit too old for the regular commute and have been looking at the MK5 and 6 GTi with the idea of either getting a 2-3 year old MK5 GTi with a few extras for around 14k or going the whole way and ordering a new Mk6 GTi for about 27k.

It's a little alarming that these are almost identically speccd cars, just one is 2 years and 30k miles older..It would be a 3 door manual, black on black.

I test drove the Mk6 today and its a great drive, fast, quiet and comfortable. The performance was good, road holding excellent and the manual really slick. A little dark inside with the black roof lining - I much prefer a lighter one but the dash and instruments are very nice. As I do a lot of night driving it looks very smart lit up.

What I didn't like was the amount of 'optional extras' I need to specify just to have some basic functions that are provided on the cheaper Golf's. After I'd added cruise control, parking sensors, DAB, bluetooth and a multiCD it soon adds up. Adding a winter pack and leather really put the price up too.

The Mk5's I am looking at have similar spec, leather, winter pack, sensors. All I'd need to add would be cruise and a multi-CD/Bluetooth kit to match the spec. I know the interior of the MK5 might look a little dated now side by side but I have an 06 Passat as well and still find it a nice interior to spend time in.

What I need to find out is how well these compare in terms of ownsership problems, handling, economy, etc. Is a newer interior and tweaked exterior enough to spend an extra 12k?

All thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated as I am boring the wife with this now!!

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Buy a decent Mk5 GTI and extend the warranty. :thumbup: Even E30s are floating around for 13-14k now. I would advise to definitely go for an Edition 30 if you can stretch to it. When i had my Mk5 GTI, there was always a niggle in the back of my head that said i should have spent the extra. Even in the end, i put Edition 30 wheels and seats into my car.

Dont worry about finding one with touch screen sat nav. These can be bought from ebay for about 450 now. Definitely try and get a car that has Highline computer, and multi function steering wheel. I had the DSG model, it was fantastic. If you go for DSG, make sure any extended warranty covers potential failures in mechatronic units. A good 5k job to fix if it breaks.

When i get rid of the Clio, as fantastic as it is, i will be looking at 2-3 year old Mk6 GTIs. Potentially, there will also be the Edition 35 floating around on the 2nd hand market that i will be very interested in as well.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. coullstar Forum Member

Cant say anymore than that, spot on. Dont see the justification for the extra money and Ed30 is best buy at the moment.

Whats all this about Ed35?

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Its nearly 5 years since the E30 (2007) so expect to see E35 news towards the middle of this year. They will be out in 2012. There has been an anniversary model every 5 years for quite some time now. :thumbup: Mk3 GTI Anniversary, Mk4 GTI Anniversary, Mk5 GTI Edition 30 - anticipate there will definitely be a Mk6 GTI Edition 35.

Mk1 obviously had the Campaign and Mk2 had the 1 in 10 million Golf Edition. Referred to as the Mk2 Campaign.

5. Shedjockey1 New Member

Thanks, I was thinking the same way. I've found a good Mk5 GTi with leather and 18in wheels and a sunroof - I think I'm the only person who wants a roof as there are so few to find but it's one of the only things I can't retrofit. It doesn't have the multifunction steering wheel but I don't mind as I intend to retrofit satnav either VW or a Pioneer/kenwood unit which would have touchscreen bluetooth.

You're spot on about putting in satnav too. I had a quote to fit Cruise control, bluetooth and satnav/dvd which comes out very reasonably indeed. All I ned after that is to fit parking sensors and to my mind the car is as fully loaded as a new Mk6 but still 12k cheaper.

The E30's look great but I cant find a manual 3 door with a sunroof! Guess I want too much.

By the way, what is the difference with the trip computers? My wifes Passat B6 has a red computer that gives all the usual trip functions and has the car image shoing open doors etc. Is this the standard computer?

By the way has anyone come across a colour called Beluga black?

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

There is a midline computer, which ironically, has a line straight through the middle. And there is the highline computer, which doesnt have a line through it. Both have those kind of displays. However, the highline allows you to change all the settings of the coming home lights etc. And extra functionality. Its much nicer.

Note, if you buy a car with midline and decide you want highline. You need to change the entire instrument cluster and have everything programmed up to work.

7. Shedjockey1 New Member

Cheers. I've just managed to get the full spec through VW UK and it has a highline. Any major mechanical problems to look out for or any expensive failure points?

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Id ideally avoid a GTI that has been on variable servicing. Try and find one that has had regular interval servicing.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

10. richwig83 Forum Member

Id edge towards a MK5 (pref ed30 as advised by deako)... i really dont think the MK6 is enough of an improvement, unless you HAVE to have a new car!

11. Shedjockey1 New Member

Thanks.
    It had its first service at 16k, 2 years on a longlife. Then the next was 8 months later, oil change service and changed to time and distance at 22k. Now its on 33k.

I'm surprised a new car can go 2 years without a service but VW seem to think its ok!

12. coupechamp Forum Member

Edition 30 all the way, such a hoot. :thumbup:

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

So its due a service. Make sure its done with the correct oil first. Also remember at 4 years, the cambelt needs doing regardless of the mileage.

14. Shedjockey1 New Member

Yes, the cambelt is a problem I have just hit with my diesel Passat too! 40k and 4 years, it needs a belt change, even though it should be good for 80k! Typical VW UK.

Still, if I have this 'flushing' service and fresh oil, should this undo any of the harm being on the Longlife plan could have caused?

15. coullstar Forum Member

Whilst it is accepted good practice to change oil regularly has anyone actually ever heard of the longlife servicing causing any undue damage to cars? I cant say I ever have so wouldnt worry too much about it. If it bothers you just go back to a more regular service plan.