AF tried to rip me off

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by jonk710, Apr 8, 2012.

1. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Took out insurance the day before I bought my Rallye as I intended to drive home after seeing / buying it.
    If the car was not buy-able then I had an agreement with Adrian Flux that I had a 14day money back guarantee.

I bought the car and drove it home so all was fine until the insurance documents were sent through, they stated the car was RHD. I called up and they said that as it was LHD there would be an extra cost of 38.75 which would be charged to my card. I explained that it was made clear the car was imported etc which made no differance.

I then pointed out that I had a 14day money back guarantee and if they charged me the extra 38 then I would cancel my insurance and go elsewhere. Within 5mins they agreed it was their mistake and they would cover the extra cost.

Nice try AF but a happy ending for me, result..:lol:

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

glad it worked out in the end, arn't rallyes LHD unless modified??

3. Brownpants Forum Member

My mrs gets a massive inflation in policy cost every year upon renewal with AF, she always says i'll call you back, gets a few other quotes and then rings them back with reduced figures and they always come down, I think they try their luck whenever they can.
    One time we changed cars and transferred the policy, they said we'd need to give them another hundred odd quid to cover new car she questioned it as the new car was a lower ins group they then said 'oh yes our mistake, ok it's 28 to transfer the policy across, she argued the toss and the did the transfer for 25' HEE HEE

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Pretty sure they only came in LHD too?

5. GTIGADGE Forum Member

Just out of curiousity, how much extra. % was that on the policy. Been looking at LHD edition ones lately but the insurance side of it worries me.

6. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Yip, all Rallyes are LHD unless converted.

My policy is 197 fully comp for a year with 5000mls limited, zero years NCD. So if they'd charged the extra it would have been 235.
    I'm 40 now and still think thats expensive for me as I have 15yrs NCD on my daily.

7. mikemk4gti New Member

mines also 197 with Zurich, AF price was around 400!