AFH conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jezzasin, Apr 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jezzasin New Member

hi guys, pretty new to the forum but have been lurking around in the background and now time has come i need help lol

basically i have a mk2 type19 more door with a 1.6 carb automatic whit even tho only covered 88k in 29 years the engine is starting to be about as useful as a tired hamster in its wheel, the auto box is still going strong but i really want manual back in my life and this is where the need for help comes in lol

ive been offered a 50k AFH engine (i know, only a 1.4) for cheap with solid history and im wondering if there is anyone who has put one of these in their golf before that could throw me some info on the parts needed to fit it, im not worried about all the ecu etc as im thinking GSXR600 carbs, which is a bit more helpfull as my car is carbed already, i have seen a mk2 on ed38 with this done but no build thread so no info etc.

so if anyone can help i would be very greatfull

jay

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its based on a small block so you'll need a small block gearbox, plus the gear linkage and stick housing, driveshafts and engine mounts from a 1.3 mk2 with 5 speed box, exhaust i would use the polo manifold and downpipe modded to fit a mk2 gti 8v exhaust, shouldnt be too bad to do

3. jezzasin New Member

cool, thought as much, someone did mention using a engine bracket from a 1.3 too, would that mean i would need to find the bracket from a 1.3 engine block and use shorter bolts to bolt it to the afh block as ive not seen a pic of either blocks from the back so wouldnt know lol, the engine i have been offered is just a bare block with exhaust manifold, dizzy and leads and just the ecu loom (came from the car like that but sold the inlet manifold and TB)

as far as i know i need the bits that you listed rubjonny and the gsxr600 or maybe R1 carbs as i know of a set in a shed that may be cheaper, the matching fuel pump from the bike the carbs are from custom inlet manifold and the ignition wiring from my golf to stay in place once all in and bolted up get it set up on RR properly

as for the exhaust will i need the cat to stay in place from the engine or can it be a straight through system as my golf is pre-cat for emissions test

lol sorry for so many questions but if i dont ask ill never find out