AFR dash readout with Megasquirt?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by tidymike, Nov 16, 2014.

1. tidymike New Member

Hi all,
    Is it possible to get an AFR dash readout from the MS module, or will I need to add another bung and sensor?

If it's the second option I'm thinking one of the two below:

http://www.wide-band.com/content/apsx-d1-wideband-controller-and-g1-led-afr-display-full-kit-red

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2517...3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

the APSX display appeals to me more as I'm thinking it could be sneakily grafted into a set of mk1 clocks rather than having another gauge, but it would be nice if I could get a digital readout from Maplin for pennies and feed it with an output from the MS unit!

I'm running MS v3.0 in a mk1 16vG60

Cheers,

Mike

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What are you using to read afr? Widebands usually come with a gauge. MS uses this output from the controller.

3. tidymike New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply
    I haven't got anything giving me a readout at present - from what I can see the wires from the exhaust sensor go directly to the microsquirt module, but I didn't install it myself and there are several similar heat shrunk sets of cables going into the loom in one place (area below brake servo) and come out behind the scuttle where it is mounted under the rain tray. It doesn't look like there's any separate controller in between though?

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hey Mike.
    To get an AFR readout you need to use a Wideband 5 wire sensor, a sensor heater and signal processing module, to send the output to a gauge or digital reader.
    The output from the readers like say a techedge or LC2 can also be fed into the 'O2' channel of the ECU for other operations.

5. tidymike New Member

Ah OK. Cheers Eddie - I think I'm giving away my level of knowledge of these things lol. From the description I would say that's not what I have. The O2 sensor looks to only have 3 wires where it plugs into the loom. I don't suppose you'd remember the type from the outputs measured at the dyno day back in March, or if it's possible to tell?

So I'm probably looking at buying a wideband kit with digital AFR readout, then using it as the input to the ECU instead of the existing one? And on the plus side I should be able to use the existing exhaust boss for the wideband sensor so no welding required.

The car has been off the road for a few weeks now for the 02A gearbox and hydro clutch upgrade, which has grown to include new std engine mounts (replacing poly ones side and rear) and a new main alternator bracket fabrication from steel as the chopped Bar-Tek alloy one (designed for a mk2) was looking to be in danger of failure.

If I'm changing 02 sensor would it make sense to then check the car over on a rolling road after to make sure all inputs are OK?

Sorry for all the questions!

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The ECU was in open loop so the signal at the time had no influence on learning.
    3 wire job suggests narrowband.
    You are on the right path regarding purchasing a wideband kit. You can fit and have the option of feeding the programmed signal, back into the ECU for lambda adaptation.

7. tidymike New Member

Thanks. I think I know the way I want to go with this now - LC2 wideband controller seems to get good reviews, then Zeitronix do a simple dash display that I like the look of if it is compatible.
    Once it's up and running I can think about sending the ECU signal from the LC2 too

8. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

late to the party, but...
    I think that it's cheaper to by an innovate sensor and gauge combo like the MXT-L
    effectively this has the LM2 controller built into the gauge and has the same programmable outputs as the LM2 to the ecu.

i should have done that. I have an LM2 and android tablet with MS droid to achieve the same result.......