Aftermarket FSI camshafts

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by yaya786, Nov 16, 2017.

1. yaya786 New Member

Hey guys

I have a 2 sets of Camshafts that I've been toying with to use in my FSI N/A build.

The bigger set are Catcams(S2000 spec) but they're way to big for what I have planned in the mk1(duration in the 300 degree region with 13+mm lift)

The one I settled on is Apparently in the 290 degree region with 6.6mm cam lift and 11.08mm valve lift. This camshaft set is used in our Polo Cup series, which are basically stock engines using the Eurospec Sport off the shelf 11:1 JE Piston, the aftermarket cams mentioned above, 45mm itbs and 98 unleaded fuel.

They made 155kw on the dyno. Tuners said the 290/11.08mm cams are too aggressive for just 11:1 compression.
    So I took some meat off the block (decked) and 0.75mm off the head. Comp is around 12:3:1 according to the engineer.
    So I'm hoping for 175kw on E95 Ethanol race fuel.

I think that's the best set to use in a a car that weighs just 730kg which will be driven mostly on the road and 1km top end and 400m drag events just 4 or 5 times a year.

The question is who could the supplier/manufacturer of this smaller camshaft be?

I like to know these things.
    The two bigger S2000 and bigger Catcams are a given, I can buy them off the shelf via the Catcams agent here in South Africa.

The only information I got from VW Motorsport S.A is that Estas supplied the billet but they wouldn't tell me where the grind originated originally. As they apparently don't know.

Any ideas on who else manufactures aftermarket camshafts besides Catcams?

The smaller cams I mentioned are not on the Catcams website.
    Just the S2000 set and others.

I'll attach a photo of the camshafts in question shortly.

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    acr likes this.
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You do know Cat Cams will cut you any profile you require?
    Obviously one offs will cost a premium.
    HPR is the better man to ask on this topic though.

yaya786 likes this.
  3. yaya786 New Member

Yeah, I guess I'm just curious as to where they got this profile/who the manufacturer is.
    Because when I bought them I was told it was an Estas billet cut to a catcam profile.
    But Catcams don't have it on their website.

4. ACR

acr New Member

Im doing a build for my Golf MK2 using a 2.0 FSI block and FSI head ,TFSI crank and with Jenvey 45mm ITBs and Rowland N/A FSI intake manifold my pistons are JE 10.5 comp Max 7000 rpm as it is a street car /daily driver im happy with 160-170 hp where can i get camshafts that fit this setup as the N/A cams from catcams are over kill for this engine . Is there any diference in the duration figures/Lift on the standard FSI vers TFSI and do i need to change both cams to get this power ?

5. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

To acr : The oem INLET FSI cams have a bit longer duration
    Inlet opens on TFSI and FSI at 28 degree
    Inlet valve closes 10 degree later on FSI > 38 degree on TFSI / 48 degree on FSI
    Exhaust opens / closes 28 /8 degree on both FSI and TFSI

On a mild tuned engine you can use TFSI aftermarket cams…. on condition its port injected
    For ease of install, stay onto ca 11mm inlet / 10 mm exhaust lift

There is no need for a TFSI crank on a mild tuned engine

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    erreesse and acr like this.
  6. ACR

acr New Member

I have just purchased the same cams as you have i dont think Estas does billet, only cast blanks Spec 298@/11.08mm but mine are made by van der linde developments for the VW polo series cup you can see on there FB pictures making the cams from steel round stock .alot of people down there are running EA827 blocks with FSI heads so i was able to buy a direct fit camshaft sprocket :-)

7. ACR

acr New Member

Better late than never

Camshafts as supplied by VW Motorsport for Polo Cup or exact copies produced by van der Linde Developments