AGU vs AUM

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by DoubleA, Feb 12, 2012.

1. DoubleA New Member

Hi guys, I have just bought an 01 golf (AGU) with 57k miles and FSH this is going to be a weekend toy and the plan is to tune it to around 220-230 bhp
    however a mate of mine is selling an 02 AUM golf with 90k miles and a full leather interior [:D]

I have been told by a local tuning company that the AUM has a KO3S turbo and will be fine for the bhp i'm looking for...

so what you guys think.... do I sell the AGU and get the AUM???

any comments, tips would be great

Thanks

Aaron

2. Lewis583

Lewis583 Forum Member

I would stick with the AGU. It has the large port head and 20mm conrod little ends (opposed to the 19mm little ends on the AUM).

K03S bolts onto the AGU lump aswell.

3. turbotommy Forum Member

See,i'd go with the AUM engine.
    It has has a much better management system with wideband lambda for starters (way ahead of the AGU one) even a simple change of ecu's to an AUQ version will give you 180 bhp before a remap.
    The largeport head will only give real gains in performance if your going for 400+ bhp and the pin diameter means nothing too as its the rods that are weak,not the pins.
    AGU's are such a myth but there is nothing really special to them.

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

To get the AGU to 220 to 230 you're going to have to change the turbo from a KO3 to a KO3s, and then get a remap. It is a direct bolt on though, so not a major job at all.
    The AUM has the KO3s already, and will go straight to 220 with a remap.

For both of those you'll need to upgrade the diverter valve, and I'd also suggest upgrading the exhaust.

For me, the heated leather is the most important difference between the two. [:D] I love mine.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Agu wasn't fitted in 2001

6. DoubleA New Member

thanks for the reply guys I think the leather is going swing it for me! [:D]
    Matt82 the car is resisterd as an 01, and it is defintley an AGU its stamped on the head and on the sticker in the boot

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

AGU = Pre EOBD and has a cable operated throttle controlled by a M3.8.3 system.
    AUM/AGZ = Post EOBD and is E-gas controlled by ME7.X

EOBD for petrol, mandatory from 2001 with some vehicles changing from as early as 2000.

8. turbotommy Forum Member

2001 AGU will have been built in late 1999 i'll bet. Just old stock & comon in the car trade to have old models left hanging around.Obviously low miles but a turbo change is required which is not the easiest job in situ + gaskets etc...
    The AUM is a simple re-map to achieve your goal & it has the leather.

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Mostly likely that will be the case re old stock and the date of registration.
    If the goal is a horsepower number then yes the AUM code with a reflash, is likely to achieve a higher measurement then an STD AGU coded car.

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

Read somewhere a while ago that some of the owners with 'early' AUM engines have found to have a ko3 turbo rather than the later ko03's? Not sure how true it is though...

11. turbotommy Forum Member

Possible but i have a 2001 car and its k03s,2002 car above WILL have one.Easy enough to check though,silencer fitted then its deffo a sport version,if one is not evident then just count the impellor blades,8 for a sport,12 for a boggo k03.

12. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Another point could be that at some point in the cars past the timing belt had broken and they replaced the head with an AGU head? Didn't think he has said if the car has ESP, VVT or FBW T/B.

13. DoubleA New Member

Eatonmk2, no my car doesnt have ESP, I think it will be finding a new home and the AUM will be bought! [:D]
    thanks for the help guys

Aaron

14. KentGTiKR Forum Member

I have a question as I own 98' AGU in my mk2 too.
    Is it possible to replace standard AGU (M3.8.3) wiring loom and ECU with AUM (ME7.x) ?

15. Dubbedup New Member

I reckon turbo Tommy has it right kiddo,..stick with his advice you won't go wrong,...I myself have an aum pushing 248 bhp and I could get it to 280-290 without it breaking a sweat,...I've always been under the impression the aum has a bigger profile on the camshaft lobes to the Aug and bigger valves,..I could be misinformed,..but mines done 151,000k and still not even a hint of that nasty oil burning smell the agu always seems to give off,...just saying,......lol...??