air compressor, oil or oil less

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by mat81, Sep 29, 2007.

1. mat81 New Member

hi im gona get a small air compressor soon, is an oil lubricated 1 ok for spray painting. i wont be doin loads, just litle bits. i will be using it for other stuff too. i thought an oil lubed 1 would last longer and be generally better

2. ihaveajetta Forum Member

make sure u get a big enough compressor to cope with sprayin

3. lufbramatt Forum Member

you need oil free for painting, else the oil will ruin the finish.

you need at least 8 cfm for painting, unless you have a tiny little spraygun like the iwata hlp50 i use for touch-ups where you can get away with a much smaller compressor.

For a full size gun your looking at a 2.5-3hp compressor to deliver the air you need.

4. Supercharged Forum Member

I didn't think oil as opposed to oil-less meant the oil goes down the pipe does it??

I have one where the uses oil but assumed it was fine for spraying stuff - just use an inline oiler for the tools...

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

ahh ok i misunderstood, thought you meant you had an oiler in the line. If you use an olied compressor then id be careful and make sure a decent oil/water separator is in the airline as a small amount of oil will end up vapourised in the compressed air.