Air compressors

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Mk2_Ozz, May 26, 2004.

1. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

Hi, I'm looking into getting an air compressorfor general home use, but don't know much about them. I'm looking at spending at most 150 on a compressor then accessories including spray gun and possibly an air impact wrench on top of that. Have been looking through Machine-Mart's website and that seems a reasonable budget, but could someone tell me which compressor would be the best one to go for, as there are lots of different kinds, and also which accessories should I be looking at getting?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I really want to get one I just don't know much about the technical specifications of them!!

2. Dogboy Forum Member

buy the one with most cfm you can afford, compressed air is not very energy efficient just convenient and safer in some applications. The larger receiver will give you a longer spurt of usable pressure for painting and make sure you get a regulator/water trap. :) can't help you with brand names.

3. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

Cheers mate, anyone else have any advice?

4. ee00jcb Forum Member

machine mart is good mine is 14cfm. Also get a big tank if you have space. If you do get a big compressor dont forget you will need a 30A supply, you can do this by piggy packing your breakers to give you 26A, which is enough for mine.

I have been drinking...sorry for asny mistakes

5. jc.. Forum Member

Get Machine marts oil lubricated ones, the others have PTFE bearings which can wear out.

i was looking at a machine mart one (about 8cfm if i remember) but i am saving up for one I saw in costco.
    14cfm and it comes with 100litre tank and a box of tools (sander, ratchet, gun and grinder.)
    300ish

6. danthevan Forum Member

Depends how much you want to spend and what you want it for. We used to have a SIP airmate compressor, good enough for spraying and could probably handle most light air tools, but being used in the workshop, was pretty much running all the time because it only had a 50ltr tank. If found the cheapest place is Northern Tools, even their own brand stuff is cheap, and good enough for everyday use. Be careful buying their air tool kits though, you get a couple of good tools (air chisel and impact wrench) and the rest is absolute pants !

7. christoff Forum Member

check out the requirements for tools that u want...mine is a electric and runs of mains and is ok, 50 litre tank doesnt last all that long on full whack but is ok....get a decent long tube and if u want a quiet one go for the belt driven type...mine is sip, and is ok, but machine mart look good