Air Filter Location

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by p3nfold, Jul 5, 2012.

1. p3nfold Forum Member

I have quite a long straw for the induction kit on my BAM install in my MK3. Pic below

[​IMG]

I was thinking of modifying the badger 5 by removing about an inch of silicone and bolt on the air filter. The battery would be moved closer to the front slam to give room.

Would I benefit from a faster spool time but would my intake temperatures be higher? I know I will need to run logs.

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Thought about moving the battery to the boot and having a heat shielded intake area or even an airbox where the battery is?

3. p3nfold Forum Member

I have thought about moving the battery with to the boot but to be honest I really dont have a clue on how to do this? As I have gone standalone, I have quite a few cables going through the bulkhead and dont really want to start drilling more but I do really like your idea!!!

I decided to bite the bullet and made the changes and this is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

I took her out last night and one thing for certain is that she spools alot faster which is what I expected, I only have one concern and that is heat soak.

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The best way to move the battery to the boot is go to a breakers yard and get cables from some for of BMW (one with an inline 6, I believe they're thicker cables, the i4 ones could be the same but the bigger the better I reckon) or I think some vintages of Audi A6.

All you have to do then is run the cables to the back and secure your battery and install the terminals in the engine bay. Gives you a neater bay and let's you put your intake somewhere that can be heat shielded.

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

With that open filter you will definitely be drawing in hot air from the bay. It will be worse when in traffic or hot starting car. You may have a bit of rough running for a while.

Also hot air will get reheated further in the turbo, raising inlet temps, which i recall are high anyway.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  6. p3nfold Forum Member

Hey tshirt2k thanks for posting. I am on the case trying to create some form of heat shield and cold air feed in the interim. I am hoping with upgrading the intercooler and with getting custom pipework that this helps to reduce the air temp on boost.

7. p3nfold Forum Member

Looks like my next plan is to move the battery to the boot. Out goes the amp and sub.

Once completed I am going to have to make my own heat shield and cold air feeder. I have an idea though. Recycle and reuse, the fun of a daily vag.

8. rallye1.8t Forum Member

when i moved my battery to boot i welded in the mk3 battery tray for that oem feel, as you retain the mounts to bolt battery down.

9. p3nfold Forum Member

Good idea, what did you use for the cover to protect the battery?

10. Jet-Li New Member

This is my filter setup in my MK3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]