Air Jacks

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Jools, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Jools Forum Member

hey, just wandered if anyone else has the urge to fit/make an airjack kit, ye like the BTCC cars! Instead of the pricey AP alternative, i was thinking of making a few jack's, copying AP's design and seeing what load i can get them to carry with for example 100psi air line feed.

discuss! :thumbup:

J

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Always intrigued me...

HPA in Canada fitted their RGT Jetta with some a few years back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hello

The buzzword is 'single acting cylinder' or SAC and are very common in the world of pneumatic rams. Used for production line machines and so forth. I Found a whole bunch dotted around the net that had the same lift capacity as the 'racing air jacks' and did actually find some round ones. Most are square and none are threaded. Price wise you can pay about a 3rd or less of the price of an AP jack.

I recently got hold of a James Lister jack. Just one to see just what makes them worth near on 300.

C

4. and carefully remove the reverse light glass from a mk2 cluster, bond in a peice of CF and it makes a lovely mount for the airline probe ;)

C

5. Jools Forum Member

hmm interesting. will have to look into it,
    i was thinking of just making some as i can find material and can machine as necessary.

6. steved Forum Member

Toooo heavy and aditional cylinder to transport so i wouldnt bother.

7. It is of absolutely no interest to anyone what you do not want to do. Pointless post.

The point here is that there is a product that sells, they are not that complicated to produce, and 300 each is a stitch up.

C

8. steved Forum Member

Oh god we have a live one on here.

You asked a question i answered it, If your in to track days / Racing spend your money on the car/ Handling/ Power and not trying to look good in the Paddock.

9. Jools Forum Member

i was only thinking of 3 jacks, some air lines P clipped in, a valve for holding the air in, and a female air line fitting mounted somewhere. i can pull into my workshop stick the air line in and woop my car is off the floor.

extra weight, i drive a mk2 scirocco, mines under 900kg's so 3 ally cylinders im not that fussed!

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Worthwhile for race teams and serious competitiors. One you have used one they are great.

And if you can, why not. Make sure you have some stands to drop the jacks onto.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  11. Jools Forum Member

Yes that's for sure, wouldn't want to be squished!

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

That comment is out of order and won`t be tolerated...no more, please.