Airbag light for MOT

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Edgeyboy, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Edgeyboy Forum Member

Hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me..... I need to get my airbag and abs light working for my mot which is just round the corner. It has an aftermarket steering wheel fitted by the previous owner, and i have been told that i need a resistor wiring to the jack to 'fool' the ecu into thinking it is still there..... I wanted to know if anyone could tell me what the connector is or what colour it is or just someone that has done it themselves...
    Thanks guys

2. TJ2727 Forum Member

I think, it is going to be the case that you will need to have the air bag fitted AND the light working. Not just the light going out after X seconds.
    Hope one of the Forum MoT guys can confirm this ?

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Nope. It doesn't even need to come on at all, however if it is staying on then it's a fail

If it's a newish car that obviously came with an airbag then it can fail for being missing. If it's something older that didn't always come with one then you might get away with it not fitted

4. TJ2727 Forum Member

Ah so he could just pull the bulb and job done? Is there any way the MoT station can tell it should have had an airbag?

5. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Yeah just pull the bulb out. I suppose if they really know there golfs they might know it's been removed but highly doubtful

6. inappropriate Forum Member

I put some black tape over mine! MOT testers are not allowed to peel it off to have a look!

7. Edgeyboy Forum Member

Well ive been told that may this year if there is one fitted (bulb/light) that it now has to light up but then also go out otherwise it is a fail..... And as he knew where it is he could see it. Ive been informed that these resistors fool the ecu into thinking that the airbag is present, as the steering wheel doesnt have one but the standard one did but the previous owner CUT the wire instead of just unplugging it..... What a douche!

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Nowhere does it say the light has to come on and go out. Get them to show you where it says that in the inspection manual

9. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

[​IMG]

There's the wording as per the inspection manual

10. Edgeyboy Forum Member

Also the abs light is on that cluster, and he was actually more concerned about that not coming on to be fair. He said that the abs is fine, but as the warning light doesn't illuminate at all thats also a fail??

11. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Yeah. The abs light has to come on and go off

12. mono matt Forum Member

What this thread needs is some friendly MOT testers lol

13. Edgeyboy Forum Member

Ye ya right it does.....think I'm gonna be a bit stumped here then coz I've got all different opinions.....not that i don't appreciate everyones help as i really do guys thanks very very much, but i think if there are any MOT testers out there please help!!

14. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

as dan w says,as long as the srs light doesnt flash indicating a fault,

the abs light has to come on and go out,and not indicate a fault,

however,there is a leaniancy if the car has been "converted" for rally/race use,these can be removed along with a fixed seat allowance,<<< this may be down to the testers descretion,;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  15. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You disable the air bags with a resistor and code it give a warning on the dash
    Abs can also be coded out as can esp
    Whether the fault light would stay out is another mater

Would be done at your own risk

16. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

There are various Airbag kits from VW with the 'right' resister in the right connector, and a declaration form to say your aware of the modification , and a sticker to say airbag is no worky!!

The wording is the though one, any tester can only go with the manual
    Dan is 100% correct - if a car came with airbag missing from the wheel it's missing fail, if its a none OEM I.E. rally/race wheel and the light comes on & goes off or if there is no signs of any airbag - it would be a pass & advise "No Airbag system fitted - wheel changed - No PAX seat etc"

it would also cost a packet of jelly babies - the National sweetener! :o lol lol

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  17. MUSHY 16V

Aye I have the airbag on the passenger side disabled on the mk4 has the sticker and it's coded to bring up a message saying it's disabled as well

You can do the same for all the airbags
    Can think of a few reasons to do this to the drivers side like if you where disabled in some way
    That you would need you to remove it

Not sure about the mk3 but the mk4 you can code the abs module to disable the esp and abs

You must get low spec models that don't has abs I know you get them without esp

I'm only speaking about doing this as part of a convention not as a mot work a round by the way

18. MUSHY 16V

Ps I like the jelly bean bit need to get me a mot job

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

for a mk3 you need to get a 3.3 ohm resistor to connect it to the cut lead & then clear the fault with vagcom

Could I just check what cable got cut? below is the slip-ring assembly:
    [​IMG]
    The yellow plug is what connects to the air bag, the other connection is normally in a foam sleave under the clam cover around the steering column.
    I suspect the PO cut the yellow connector off as you have to re-use the slip-ring with the wheel boss for the horn & indicator cancellation to work.
    If that is the case there should be another connector to use at the other end, the end attached to the car loom is also yellow
    -you just plug the resistor into that with some insulation tape to hold it in place.

The bad news is its very likely your warning light is burnt out too. there are a few variations of warning lamps, even different connections so check what you have got already.
    if you are in a hurry & cant get the correct one, you can de-solder a good bulb to replace a burnt out one on your original.

Cola bottles ftw!

20. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

it would also cost a packet of jelly babies - the National sweetener! :o lol lol[/QUOTE]

chocolate hobnob biscuits down here dudes,:p:p:p ;)