Airbag warning light HHHEEELLLPPPP

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mikebad, Dec 30, 2003.

1. mikebad New Member

i recently had to remove the airbag from my mk3 golf gti so that i could replce a broken indicator switch (which now works realy nicely!) only problem is on replacing the airbag, the warning light will now not go out when the ignition is on. is there any way of fixing this (appart from taking out the bulb) because its realy anoying!

secondly ive got a Piranha thm 96/66 alarn and the bonnet switch has disintergrated. now the alarm won't arm because it thinks the bonnet is open. so i twisted the wires together (to simulate a closed switch) and this makes no difference. do i need to reset the alarm?? how do you do this? HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

2. b'locks Forum Addict

did you disconnect the battery before you took the airbag out?

you may need to get it reset via vag-com

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

As above. Try disconnecting the earth lead for 10 mins or so - this will reset the ECU. If the light is still on the ECU is reading a fault code and this will need to be cleared using VAG-COM (there are a few people, like me, on the forums who have it) or with a 1551 tool by your (not so) friendly VW garage. If it then lights up again you've probably f**ked something up.

If the bonnet switch is similar to the door pin switches then when the bonnet is down the switch is open and will not activate the alarm. By twisting the wires together you may be simulating a closed (active) circuit, ie an open bonnet thus activating the alarm.

BUT, I thought that bonnet switches activate to earth and therefore only require ONE wire?

Edited by: mr.brown

4. Grantson Forum Member

i agree with mr brown
    the bonnet switch usualy it on the earth
    disconnect the wire and see what happens

a new plunger swithc is only abotu 3 from halfords

5. mk3anniversary Forum Member

The mk3 slam panel is plastic, to it has one wire for the + feed and another to some part of the cars body work for an earth.

6. mikebad New Member

your right about the pannel being plastic, ive got a major problem now, the car has immobilsised itself and wont let me start it. its not a problem with the switch, the alarm has gone mental since i disconnected the battery and reconnected it. no amount of fiddleing seems to have any effect! so im faced with having to have someone come out and fix it which is a take a leaker!

if anyone knows how to reset a Piranha THM 96/66 alarm PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me! im desperate! it seems silly to me that you can't dissconect the battery, reconnect it and not have it still working! bizzare, there must be a way! HELP!