Alarm recommendations??

Discussion in 'Security' started by seanr68, Aug 8, 2011.

1. seanr68 Forum Member

Can anyone recommend an alarm to fit to my Scirocco?
    Ideally i want it to have a facility where i can add central locking to my car as it doesn't have it at the mo. Also, i would like it to have the option to fit "Microwave proximity sensor and anti jack up(tilt)sensors" at a later date.
    Cheers:thumbup:

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Toad ai606?

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Microwave proximity sensors - do you mean it forms a bubble around the exterior which when broken beeps the alarm?

As above Ai606 is a cracking relailable alarm.

4. seanr68 Forum Member

Yeah, had a look at those and they seem to do all the tricks, just wondering if i'd missed anything else before i go out andpurchase one?
    I hate going and buying something, only to find out theres something else better/cheaper. lol

5. dragonfly

If you want the alarm (Ai606) to be insurance approved it will need to be professionally fitted. Cliffords are fine but need to be properly and professinally fitted (even then it's hit and miss). They are prone to malfunction - I've had 3 separate pro fitted Clifford alarms play up - including one that killed the power more than once when driving!

6. seanr68 Forum Member

Yeah, i did mean the "bubble" proximity sensors.

I always thought cliffords were meant to be about as reliable as they come.!! I'll steer clear of those then. :thumbup:

As for fitting, well...i was going to do it. Apparently, you can just say you lost certificate, take it to an approved dealer, they inspect it, then for a small fee they give you a new certificate.

7. dragonfly

Cliffords are clever but because of this can cause false alarms/battery drains etc. The proximity sensor is useful but can be a headache (go to any car show and you'll hear cars beeping). You can adjust the size of the bubble.

I would strongly suggest if you want to attempt fitting a Ai606 you know exactly you are doing and are not a novice (take your time, solder properly, heatshrink and tape connections, keep the wiring tidy etc).

Also consider another level of security as a peace of mind.

8. seanr68 Forum Member

I also have a disklok and one of those rubbish gearstick thingys.
    I think the only issue i'll have is(if i do get an ai606)wiring up the universal, 2 wire central locking motors i want to use. I want to fit 2 of those so i'll have to do a bit off reading up.

9. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

I've had cliffords in the past without any problems. I'd recommend them as part fan because they are good.
    Toad AI606 are a good alarm but its your preference, I prefer Clifford as they are easy to use.
    Both can have the same features, read the alarm manuals and pick the one you'd like to use.
    Hope that helps

10. seanr68 Forum Member

Cheers for your views people. Been and bought a toad AI606 with proximity sensor today. Main reason was its a bit cheaper than Cliffords alternative and I'm skint.
    Going to wire up 2x two wire central locking motors as well. That, along with the disklok and autolok gear thing should be enough to put of any chav scum.