All Round Tyres ?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 24, 2012.

1. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

just had a good test of the t1 sports (which I can't find for your fitment, so disregard for now anyway lol) on the way home.
    was stuck behind 3 cars going 40, just negotiated a 4 way junction and there's a sweeping, clear left hand straight after so i booted it and when i reached the audi in fronts driver door he decided to pull out on me! mid turn hard braking (-15mph) no problems for it. I must admit though, so far, maybe 'cos they're still pretty much brand new there is less feedback than with the T1-R's, but they eat through the rain no problem :thumbup:

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

^^^ They sound good Wez :thumbup:

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I've got Rainsport 2s on the front of mine & they certainly grip better than the Avon ZVXsomething or others on the rear

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

5. thegave Forum Member

Kumho?

Michelin Pilots expensive yes but you most certainly do get what you pay for.

6. Richard Mk2

Michelin pilots are the best tyres ive had. Currently got a set on the MK4, but they did cost me 320 fitted for all 4! Well worth it as it is my daily.

Never tried Khumo's before ?

7. f2 ed Forum Member

I've had KU31s all round on my black ibiza. Didn't buy them again

Not bad for the money but more of a good budget tyre imo. Nothing compared to Goodyear eagle F1, or Rainsports 2 or Falken ZE912s or Pirelli P zero

8. f2 ed Forum Member

Does anyone else find the sidewalls of the rainsports too soft? Thats why i went off them, saggy balls sidewalls make the turn in feel slow and you get less feel.

9. R1CH_GTi Forum Member

What did you choose in the end ? i need a pair of 225/45/17's this week for new wheels and with reading other opinions i'm between Toyo T1's or Uniroyal rainsport 2 :S garage has offered me Kumho's for 88 but i think i can buy better on the net. What do you have on the MK4 ?

10. f2 ed Forum Member

Im a tyre fitter by trade. Honest opinion... don't get the kumhos

11. Richard Mk2

I haven't actually got round to changing the tyres on the Mk2 yet, as its currently off the road in bits :(

12. R1CH_GTi Forum Member

What would you recommend ? I've just looked at Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric and found them at 86 each so not bad and the reviews on them are good to be fair.

13. f2 ed Forum Member

On a small light car i've found Pirelli Pzero to be unbeatable, but on a heavier car the Goodyear Eagle F1 will be better suited. For 86 you won't get much better than that

14. f2 ed Forum Member

15. R1CH_GTi Forum Member

Ordered the Goodyears so hopefully they'll do me just fine.

Those Pirelli's do look good on that vid though :thumbup:

16. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

I ran Khumo ku39s on my old 'rado vr6 and was suitably impressed by them after the bedding in period, and I think they may have a newer version out now.

I too found T1r's pathetic in the wet on my old mk1 and mk2 with the huge amounts of understeer and large amounts of snappy oversteer when very cold. Good in the dry, but easy to overheat them when pushing on, and that was in my stripped mk1.
    Currently running Rainsport 2s all round on the S4 and am happy with them for the cost, but being a heavy car will be looking at Eagle F1 asymmetric 2's come time to replace.

17. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Good advice. The Clio's from RSR at the ring are all on these. I was mega impressed with them for a 'road tyre' they took a ****ing beating from me and Kevin Glover for 12 laps and never missed a beat, consistent, great grip, predictable and appear to be quite hard wearing!