ALT ? engine

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by abf"d mk1, Feb 19, 2017.

1. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

I had never knowingly heard of these until quite recently. So a few questions, are they alloy blocked, are they any good (comparable to an ABF) in na form. Are tuning parts available , specifically conversion in mk1. Thank you.

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

ALT engine has allu block / 2.0 L / 96kw or ca 130 hp in std trim and can be found in cars as A4 /A6 / Passat
    So it need a few things changed to make it work in a Transverse install ( sump + oilpump pickup pipe )

Tuning parts as camshafts, pistons, rods, valve-springs, valves, inlet manifold, itb`s , etc are no problem to source

What is the intended power target ?

3. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Well with no financial constraints (which I do have ) I would like to have approaching 200 bhp. Figure chosen as my current car apparently has 172 and I would like a bit more.

4. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Keep the ABF engine , start with a well ported head, camshafts and a good exhaust system and get it proper re-mapped

abf"d mk1 likes this.
  5. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

I don't actually have an abf engine, which is why I was thinking about something different, seems hard to find an abf these days with decent mileage, whereas alt,s seem to come with much lower mileage for similar money,, but thanks for the advice.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

An ABF engine is a much better base to start from than an ALT engine.

The fact that you base your measure of success on a simple power target as opposed to 'what will feel right for you', masks out the actual work required to modify either to over 100bhp/litre.

7. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

I was asked for a target so I gave one, I am very familiar with the abf, but have no clue about the ALT engine, All I wanted to know was if it was any good. Which it seems not, thank you.

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I have one. The head is a bit crap. You'd tune a KR or abf a lot easier and cheaper.

9. Toyotec

I was a bit short and could not expand on what I meant.
    It is not crap. Just that the base engine was never designed to be performance based. Similar to the FSI 2.0 16v.
    You can extract more than 100bhp/l from it, but by the time you were finished, the benefits would be no different and significantly more expensive than an ABF to do the same.

Typically, you can delete the balancer shafts, run H sectioned rods/fasteners and custom oversize 20v stroker high comp pistons, use a 20vT head and uprate valve train and camshafts.
    Pretty expensive and work intensive compared to an ABF engine where all the components are known and more available off the shelf.

It does not matter if the ABF is worn as you will be refreshing the block and head anyway.

There several ways an engine could develop it's torque at WOT and at part load throughout an RPM range. Hence just simply targeting 200bhp, which is dyno dependant may not always translate into a fast feeling car.
    Not having a go at your, but I should say that for the purposes of adjusting expectations.

10. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

ALT engine has a cast crank, tapered rods and balance shafts and its not a transverse mounted engine...that said, if you would go 20V ... an early 20V - 058 block AEB engine with an ABF crank would be the better option, but it need pistons and the block bored to make it 2.0 L .... altough these big port 20V heads flow well in std trim already ... or need little porting done

The 16V ABF engine is a good base from the start, as all the needed parts are already there...a forged crank, good rods, inlet system, ... and its pretty bullet proof..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Toyotec and Sirguydo like this.
  11. Toyotec

^^I remember Duncan from ADE came to Curby a few years ago with an ALT engine fitted to a MK1. The mounting would be the same as a EA113 1.8T.
    Sambo knows a bit more about it. It was not 200bhp engine but more of an exercise because they could and had the engine lying around.

What Hugo says is correct as another alternative to fitting a EA113 ALT. You can fit the NASP engine (ADR) from a B5 Audi or Passat and stroke with an ABF crank then rebore to 82.5 to 83mm. Still very labour intensive.

12. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I know this engine and the car it was originally in.....it was sold to a friend of mine who raced it in the then VAG Trophy until the bottom end eventually let go. Another bottom end was sourced and it was run like that for a while until the car was stripped and the shell sold on.

The engine has then sat in the corner of my workshop until recently....the head has been stripped and completely re-worked by Hotgolf and bolted to a cast iron 1.8T block bored out to 83mm with NA forged pistons and ARP fasteners, decked to increase the squish a little and the compression ratio has been increased to suit the Schrick cams that had just been 'thrown' in the old engine. A vernier pulley has also been added so that the cams can be 'dialled' in once on the dyno.

The engine will be going on the engine dyno in the next month or so before being fitted the new Mk1 shell that I have been building up for my friend. I'll dig a pic out of the new car and add it on here when I get a chance :thumbup:

jamesa, sambo and Toyotec like this.
  13. Toyotec

Look forward to the final result.
    Seen the said engine recently and there was a lot of time spent on it.

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

sounds interesting :)

15. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

Alternative use for an ALT engine. Very interesting project.
    The engine is a hybrid VAG inline-four consisting of a 2.0 L ALT 20v aluminum block with a 16v ABF head from a Mk3 Golf GTI. Although the 16v head doesnt breath as well as a 20v head it is easier to convert to solid lifters. Custom work was required to have the crank, camshafts and water pump to work together. The engine produces 650 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque on 100 RON race fuel and 30 psi (2.1 bar) of boost from a Garrett HTA turbocharger.

http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=14654