Aluminium trolley jacks back at Costco

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by bones, Nov 3, 2012.

1. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

Is that 108 including the VAT?

[​IMG]

http://arcanusa.com/lifting.html#

Must say I saw one in the Edinburgh Costco last time around, seemed a nice piece of kit, no problem lifting myself up with it!
    The diamond knurling & bodywork protective padding on the handle are good features, but I seem to recall that the one on display there was play in the two piece handle &/ or a problem with lift / lowering control -maybe from abuse in store
    The only other concern at the time was I found it to be a bit big for my storage.

Would love to hear how these have "held up" through true use, as I could actually do with a new trolley jack.

3. Admin Guest

i hope its better than the clarke one that looks similar, i had mine a few years and its been well used but its fcked now, can't jack up safely on it. starts to bend under weight.

now have the original jack that costco do, nice and heavy and looks good.

4. Admin Guest

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Good to see they are back, I went and bought another of the 3 Ton ones to lift the MK2. We can get it off the ground pretty high now but they are bloody heavy!
    I dont need another jack, i dont need another jack....

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I have the ally one... it's OK, after 4 years of regular use, it's starting to show a few issues, although the jack itself works fine.

- One of the wheels is sticky, not quite seized but nearly. I haven't had a chance to investigate yet.
    - The rubber pad fell apart and fell off about 2 years in. Need to sort out a replacement
    - One of the little bars that braces across the jack fell off - I went round and checked all the other fasteners and found a few that needed tightening up. Would check them on a new one next time.

Would I buy another one - yes.

7. TDB86 Forum Member

Strange because they are not showing online?

8. f2 ed Forum Member

WHen jacking up with these rubber pad jacks, where do you jack up on? The same spot on the sills? Don't they fold?

9. Admin Guest

never on a sill!
    either the axle or the section just in from the sill if jacking the front, round thing on a mk1.

10. turbotommy Forum Member

Had mine approx 4 1/2 years now,still going great apart from the rubber pad that fell apart.Left it out in all weathers too.
    If I jack my mk2 up on the front subframe under the ARB/rear wishbone bush,then both of the wheels on that side of the car can be removed with ease.
    Must buy another when I can.

11. f2 ed Forum Member

MAC tools do a smart looking one for 100+VAT

12. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

I quite rate the 2 tonne halfords one I bought about 10 years ago. Okay it's not super low, doesn't go super high, and isn't bling ally (has halfords written on it -that's anti-bling, that is). But it works, and has worked faultlessly for 10 years or so.

13. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

yes inc the vat.
    Ive also got one of the Alcon 3 ton ones and its a bugger to lift anywhere or put in the boot.

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've got a biggish halfords one too - bought in a sale on a tip-off from RJ, with trade card discount for about 32 quid I think. Good value, but it's not low enough, and the 'quick-lift' part stopped working after a year. Should probably find the receipt and take it back if it's still in warranty.

15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

My Costco-bought 2-ton ally jack is still going strong after 4-ish years. A mate has two of the 3-ton ones, and by f*ck are they heavy! Definitely a "shop" jack, and not one to be carting around to track days and the like.

I am liking the storage racks and matching workbench they do in Costco too... ;)

16. mat-mk3

17. f2 ed Forum Member

Oooo there is a Costco in Bristol, i might pop down later

18. mat-mk3

Are you a member ed? You need to be a member to buy but you can browse for free:thumbup:

It's massive and I bet you will come out with a BBQ, chainsaw, lifetime supply of bleach and a canoelol

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

Matt, you forgot the bales of bog roll.

20. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

and two crates of black-rat cider