Aluminium Trolley Jacks

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by mat-mk3, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

We have not had this topic for a while but im in the market for one at the moment.
    Having spent the night looking at them all, It seems the Costco one is the best, But no longer available. Like this...
    [​IMG]

I have read loads of people saying the silver/blue machine mart one is bad quailty and some are even on their 4-5th replacement!

Whats next then? This is going to be use to pick up the MK2 VR6 from the subframe mounting points so needs to be able to lift about 8-10t (I joke :lol:)
    Nah, 1.5t should be fine.

This one seems to be good but i cant find many people with it.
    http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP03904.html

It will be used in my workshop and also taken to trackdays.

So what are you using?

2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Some of the sealey ones come in under 150 and should be reasonable quality

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I need one like that with the rubber pad, my crappy halfords one just mashes the stone chip from the sill area.

4. mat-mk3

Sealey one looks very much like the Costco one and the rest of them. Even looks the same as the SIP!

5. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

I recently just bought the 1 from machine mart matt, quality looks spot on to me its lightweight and really low entry level....Can throw it in the car at next meet if you wanna have a gander at it, think petes got one as well.

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Was it the 1 1/4 tonne jack for just under 110?

7. mat-mk3

Pete linked me to a liftmaster one on eBay and again it looks just the same as the rest of them:lol:

I got advised against a single roller at the front as they are unstable on uneven ground, Anyone confirm this?

Sealey jacks > http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=DoProductSearch&method=mProductSearch&productdescription=&productcode=&category=1&catgroup=354&catmicrogroup=1365&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16&fulltext=0
    They only have 1 "4 wheeled" jack and it doesnt sound that good with an alloy/steel mix.

8. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

Yes deako mate thats the one......Ive been using old cheap trolly jacks and this one is in a diffrent league compared to them...If weight is not a issue for less money machine mart do a low entry trolly jack for less money for garage use but i had a look at it and weighed a ton:lol:

I bought the alli one because of the weight saving because will use it for trackdays and the ring trip.

Matt you mentioned about it being unstable on the front with single roller i have not found this ...found it to be very stable in situations ive used it in

The pic of the costco one at thectop matt looks exactly the same as the machine mart one just has diffrent front wheels

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  9. mat-mk3

Ah, Ok then.
    Does it reach the subframe mount? It lists it as only being 560mm odd where as im looking at learly 700mm long

10. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

If you mean the one at the back of the wishbone then yes mate thats were i jack from...Like i said can bring to meet on 25th if you there you can have proper look and see for yourself mate:thumbup:

11. mat-mk3

I need one tomorrow:lol:

Putting my brembo's on and need 2 jacks really, Might as well go for a nice light alloy one.
    My mate is lending me his costco card so i will try and get the good one later today if they have any:thumbup:
    They do a big steel 3 ton one but its 50kg:lol:

12. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

Ok mate.....Hope you get what your after:thumbup:

If you get stuck give me a shout you can borrow mine to do the job till you sorce one

13. mat-mk3

Thanks for the offer, Will let you know:)

14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Costco still sell the 3tonne jacks but not in aluminium anymore, they are really good quality and I sell quite a few with no complaints, Iv got 3 in my workshop so I can get cars uber high really quickly.

15. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Can you not just bosh a rubber hockey puck in there? My halfrauds jack is about 20 years old but the puck is the perfect size for the jacking plate and protects the underside of the car.

16. mat-mk3

The big red one? I might go for that instead if they have them. Made by "Arcan"

17. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Yea, they are really heavy but there proper low entry not just a low end which makes the difference. Iv found the best way to get them around is use them as a skateboard with the handle in front of you, which is also good fun.

18. turbotommy Forum Member

No longer available or just not available at the min??
    I bought one of the these a few years ago and whilst its been fine/great,i know they are not available ALL the time.
    Might be better to borrow a jack for the job in hand,then purchase 1 when they come back in stock.

19. mat-mk3

Went in and had a look round. No alloy ones but they have the big 3 ton ones nick is talking about. I'm going to pick one of them up for the moment. I could lift it fine and it will fit in the van no problem for track days.
    Massive lift on it and very well built! Just need my mate to come with me now as his card has a photo on the back!

20. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I have the Clarke Racing aluminium jack and it lifts the GTO up no problem, had it 4 years without any problems..