Aluminum Wheel Spacers [:?:]

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by ariser, Feb 10, 2004.

1. ariser Forum Member

Here

Has anyone used these ever ?? Im currently on 185/70/13 (yes the original spec for year) and id like these to stick out more at the back?
    Are these safe ?? The car is dropped by 40mm so will my wheels foul on the arches? They dont at the moment and dont with 4 peeps in car so im guessing they dont. Just need to check out if anyone has tried these b4 shelling out 30 squid plus postage hehe:)

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

30 !!!!

I think I`ll get busy with the lathe.
    Safe as long as bolts are long enough.

3. ariser Forum Member

Way kool :) Gonna give them a ring today

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

my dad runs 50mm!!!!! spacers on a 944 with no probs.
    i have them on the mk1,id go about 10-15mm.

5. Danger Barry Forum Member

I picked up a pair of 9mm spacers a while ago without the bolts and was just wondering:

Who does the long bolts seperately?

Is it safe to still use my locking bolts as well? (They will screw in but don't go too far in)

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I got longer bolts from the loacal car accessory shop, don`t use the original locking bolts, 10mm is too much thread to loose imho.

Go for hubcentric spacers or you`ll have vibration problems.

7. Red Rado G60 New Member

FK alloy spacers are great but not cheap, they have hub location so so the weight is sat on the hub rather than the wheel bolts. They loads of different sizes.

Performance Products do the Fk spacers and some extended bolts, but www.trackstore.co.uk has a bigger range of VW longer bolts.

Andy

8. thepedster New Member

it is a safe rule of thumb to have a minimum of 6-7 COMPLETE turns of your wheel bolts in your hubs before you need to reach for the wrench,

so 6-7 turns by hand of actual thread gripping then 3-4 more of quality thread tightning action.

its only a rule of thumb but 6-7 complete turns of your wheel bolts is a safe guide to ensure your wheel bolts are actually grippig th thread enough to remain safe, make sure you arent counting the bolts passing through the spacers as turns you should be able to push them through these without turing the bolts,

longer bolts are available thru Demon Tweeks or any decent accsesroy shop, there not expensive so dont think your stock VW bolts 'will do'

/EDIT I am running 5MM spacers on my Polo so orderd 5MM longer bolts through DT about 1.50 each IIRC
    Edited by: thepedster

9. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

What you are saying is that with a pitch of 1.5mm and ten turns to fully tighten that means you need 15mm of thread minimum.
    Sounds right to me.

10. thepedster New Member

whats even more impressive is that I wrote all that whilst completly ******!!!!

thats why Irepeated myselef sooooo many times [:s]