...and five years later...

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by IvanNT, Aug 21, 2011.

1. IvanNT New Member

Hello All,

I'm back after five years. My Mk1 GTI has been sitting on the road outside my house in the baking sun (I live in Mlaga) for five years, don't ask. It's in pretty poor shape! The fabric on my seats has perished! The sun visors have all but disentegrated! I cannot get the car started. Bought a new battery. Put ten litres of fuel in. It turning over, just not firing up. Any ideas???

Ivan

2. turbotommy Forum Member

Fuel pump working?

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Any old fuel in it? 5 years of stale petrol!

4. Collie Forum Junkie

clean plugs? blocked air filter?

5. IvanNT New Member

Drained the petrol, cleaned the plugs, cleaned the air-filter, checked pump (still working), but no luck. Called the mechanic, he came round while I was at work and got it started. Reckons it was the fuel distributor was all clogged up?
    It was great to take it for a spin to be cleaned and then around the garage where I'm in the process of taking it apart bit by bit and fixing it up. It's great to be back in the scene... You will all probably get sick of me asking questions! Good to see so many GTI enthusiasts.
    Thanks to those that replied with advice.
    Regards,
    Ivan

6. danster Forum Addict

Hi there, yep metering head flap could well have been clogged up with oil gunge from the engine. It is quite common for them to stick if the engine has not been run for a length of time.

Good to know it is running now. If you get any other problems with it, then just post in the relevant section. :thumbup: