And now for something completely different from the land downunder

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by sports racer, May 17, 2016.

1. sports racer Forum Member

For those who eagerly await my yearly update on one of the all-time greatest events on the planet here is my report on the 2016 Braidwood Billycart Derby.

This is the first cart I built for the 2013 event. It ran well, was super comfortable but the aerodynamics held it back. Im pretty sure it could have been a world beater if only Id added some cup holders. I kept spilling my drink while racing and couldnt steer straight.

My wife and kids also disowned me when I showed them what I was secretly building in the shed. I thought theyd be pleased at my recycling efforts but words like embarrassing and turkey were thrown around. My wife also had a few other choice words but the forum filter wont let me print them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For many months afterwards I searched the Braidwood tip for a sporty version of the Jason Recliner but no-one was throwing out their leather racing model so I built the hotrod instead. The main criteria for this build was it couldnt be anything that embarrassed my wife or kids.

First raced in 2014 it got the peoples choice award for best looking billycart and in 2015 it managed to win a few heats which was good enough to get some prize money for the best placed Braidwood local in the Open class.

[​IMG]

For 2016 I knew the local competition was keen to knock me off my pedestal so a new cart was built. Months went into the planning and construction of a much more aerodynamic cart and this time money was no object. After all, this is the worlds premier billycart event.

However, after spending $30 it was realised there would have to be a financial cap to this project otherwise the build would eat into my morning coffee (with 7 sugars) money.

To keep down costs many weekend afternoons were spent searching the Braidwood tip for the right wheels and bicycle frames to use, together with wood sourced from various backyards.

The 2016 build started with this.

[​IMG]

2 months later and the day before the big race.

[​IMG]

There were design limitations so that my 13 year old son could also use it to compete in his age class. As you can see below he fit with room to spare but his chubby dad was much tighter.

[​IMG]

It was painted it in race winning colours (everyone knows red goes faster - unless it's on a MK2 Golf ;)) but I could only find half a can of red.

Here Benny lines up against the cart that won its age group at Yass and Port Kembla, the 2 biggest billycart races in Australia.

[​IMG]

Benny dead-heated against the blue cart in their first race and in the re-run Benny wobbled a few times going down the hill which lost him some speed. He lost by 10cm which isnt too shabby considering the blue cart has never been beaten.

Benny had problems with the brakes and hit a few haybales trying to stop in one of his races. In another race he went through the haybales, across a busy road and ended up stopping in the carpark. The organisers banned the cart from any further racing and I had to argue with them to get the cart back into the race so I could compete in the Open class.

[​IMG]

Heres some of the interesting carts from this years competition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How did our cart go in the hotly contested Open class where there were 23 contestants?

My first race was against (would you believe) Superman. Well, he was dressed like Superman. I pulled an early lead against his cart and because Benny had braking problems I thought I'd better test the brakes before getting to the finish line. Unfortunately the brakes worked too well and I scrubbed off a lot of speed with still another 100 metres to go. I couldn't see behind me so had no idea how far behind Superman was and I couldn't get out and push so prayed that I had built up enough of a lead to beat him. Luck was with me and I rolled across the finish line before Superman and won that heat.

The next heat was against one of the quick carts and I was surprised by my 10 metre win.

The 3rd heat was another win. Woohoo! :thumbup:

4th heat was a bye which put me straight into the finals.

Against the other 23 carts in the open class I got this plus $150 for coming 2nd and another $150 for best local.

[​IMG]

Got to be pleased with that considering my $30 cart lost to this one which is rumoured to have taken 800 hours to build at a cost of $9000. I was lucky that this cart eliminated some of the other really quick carts in the heats leading up to the final race.

[​IMG]

The guy owns a furniture making company and I think his staff were employed to help make it. He also lost 15kg so he could fit in it. Thats dedication and he rightly deserved to win.

Next year Ill see about fitting high pressure tyres (expensive) and ceramic bearings (mega expensive). I might even paint the whole cart red.

If I get a small coffee each day @ $3.50 instead of a medium @ $4.20 thats a saving of 70c per day. Thats $3.50 a week x 52 = $182. Almost enough to buy 2 bearings for 1 wheel so just 6 to go and then the tyres.

Wonder if I can get the kids to agree to less pocket money for the next few years and my wife to cutting back on the shoes and clothes?

I think Ill probably be getting out the cup and sign and standing on street corners. If you see me please throw a coin.

Cheers

Paul

PS. And what happened to my $300 winnings? It all went to my wife of course so she wouldn't think I was such a dropkick and wasting my time building kids toys.

beetie, mat-mk3, Nige and 3 others like this.
  2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

How did I miss this thread ? It`s brilliant :clap: 2nd place is fantastic, but the lack of hay bales to stop your son is worrying ! Surely they should plan for brake-failure :o

Thanks for sharing !

sports racer likes this.
  3. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Awesome! takes me back to when I was a child :)
    Would love to do a soapbox run

sports racer likes this.
  4. sports racer Forum Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016