Annoying pop-up

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Neil G40, May 24, 2004.

1. Neil G40 Forum Member

I say pop-up but it actually slides up from the bottom of the screen it seems to do it at anytime and not on any specific site, the stupid thing is that its advertising a pop-up killer at www.wowweb.net

Anybody know where it came from and how I get rid of it.

2. hayesey Forum Junkie

go here & download Adaware 6 free edition. Then let it update itself. Then scan your computer with it. Should remove any nasty programs that put these annoying pop-ups on.

Also, goto "start", "run" & type in "services.msc" then find the service called "messenger". stop the service & set the startup type to disabled. This isnt anything to do with MSN messenger by the way. It's a service meant for sending messages over networks, but some bad internet people use it for popup adverts.

Failing all that, also search for & download "Spybot search & destroy". Again, let it update & then scan. Similar to adaware but can find things that adaware misses & vice versa.

3. Neil G40 Forum Member

I've already tried spybot but I'll give adaware a go.

4. slick Forum Junkie

you can also download google toolbar, it does a rather good job of stopping the general pop ups but as mentioned, this sounds like it has installed in your registry.

5. Neil G40 Forum Member

well adaware picked up some stuff and its not been back since yesterday so fingers crossed.

6. altern8 Forum Junkie