Another Electric Window Problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by RyanMk3, Sep 21, 2010.

1. RyanMk3 New Member

Hey folks, got a little problem here, I own a 1997 Golf MK3 GL 1.6 and once i bought it i discovered the drivers electric window wont work. Im only 18 so I dont really know much about automotive electronics and an auto electritian is too expensive when your on your first years car insurance! lol So thanks in advance for anyones help!

anyway heres an explination of the problem:
    when I press the button to move the window, nothing happens at all, cant even hear anything move. when i press the button to move the passengers side window, that works.

every now and again no matter wether the cars moving, the ignitions on or the cars just sitting there I can hear a clicking noise coming from the door (sounds like a relay clicking on and off, possibly from the motor) and it doesnt do it in a set rythm, its sporadic bursts. sometimes opening and closing the door stops the annoying clicking so could this mean a loose connection somewhere?

i assume its nothing to do with the fuse for the windows because there must be power going to the window motor relay to make the clicking noise and when i look at the fuse (fuse 14 for the windows according to the haynes manual) its fine, not melted, burnt or damaged in any way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers, Ryan

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Hello and welcome! :thumbup: (I`ve moved this to the Electrical Section)

It sounds like you have a broken or loose wire somewhere in the door. Most likely where it passes into the door from the A-pillar area (the rubber boot you can see when the door is open.

Pull this boot back at either side, so you can inspect the wiring. Also take your doorcard off and check there, since the loom can sometimes rub through on the inside of the door.