(another)Hi from NZ

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by jessecgti, Mar 25, 2010.

1. jessecgti New Member

Hi folks
    I first got into VW when my dad bought a mk1 track car with a bit of history- was a car driven in the Benson and Hedges series in NZ to podium finishes by the likes of Denny Hulme. Dad currently races it regularly in the NZ Targa road rally (I co drive) and various circuit series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started by addiction with a mk1 gti which i gradually built up but gradually became unable to cope with the rust! but in the end it looked great and I loved driving it!

[​IMG]

I then moved on to a mk2 which I adore. Its an original RE2000 GTI Engineering car that was imported by a guy in NZ through a friend in the UK (anyone recognise it?). It's been really looked after and drives like clockwork. I can take it to the track, thrash it all day then just drive it home!

[​IMG]
    when I bought it
    [​IMG]
    and now

Anyway this car is soon to be converted to an ABF. After gathering plenty of information via clubgti it seems straightforward but I am bound to have some questions via the 16V tech thread so help is much appreciated!!!:thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Welcome - nice collection!

You might want to consider rebuilding that RE2000 lump, or at least check what's in it, before you start with the ABF.... or is the ABF just to keep it running while you do a rebuild?

3. jessecgti New Member

thought I'd just chuck that GTI engineering block.....
    no im winding you up
    I don't know what to do with it, but I will be keeping it, pretty rare engine over here.
    unfortunately there is no gti engineering signature plate on the car, and I figure this is because its had its slam panel replaced at some point and it must've been lost.
    it has the stickers, I have a brochure outlining the specs and I have original receipts for work at gti engineering, but of course its hard to PROVE.
    it certainly aint no standard 8V :lol:

4. Admin Guest

where you from in NZ?

5. jessecgti New Member

Hi Jon I'm from Auckland
    Looks like all my ace pictures and stuff have disappeared from the thread starter- probably cos I edited it and its waiting approval. It'll be back soon

6. Admin Guest

Auckland, great city! Lived in kingsland for 6months