Another MFA Temp problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by SkyRocketeer, Jan 4, 2004.

1. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Think my car is dreaming of exotic places..

I've noticed that the MFA ambient temperature has been slightly optomistic recently and on investigation I'd noticed that the temperature sender had worked it's way into the chamber immediately infront of the radiator. The sender should live inside the front bumper, but since replacing the steel on mine years back, it hasn't fitted, so I'd just kinda left it loose inside the bumper cavity/front air-dam type area, was working fine and accurately for the best part of 18months since.

Anyay, it's now dangling from the bumper (prolly not the best idea), but it still reading high. Working on it in the garage (ignition off) and it reads 4 degrees from cold, believable. Drive around for 1/2 hour, and it's now 10deg - uh?

If I unplug the sensor, it goes open circuit, and the MFA says -40 (old style MFA obviously). So I'm guessing that the circuit resistance is decreasing as the engine warms up, a progressive short between the sensor feed wires? Is this possible?

Could a partially cooked (i.e. radiator incident) temperature sender behave like this? Or am I trying to find a wiring fault in the rats-nest & scotch-lock hell that is my cars electrical system?

Any thoughts?