Another one - misfiring

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by SafferYork, Mar 22, 2017.

1. SafferYork New Member

Hi again all.
    I keep getting a CEL, and when checking in VAGCOM, it comes back as cylinder 3, misfire.

This misfire only happens at idle, and I don't notice it. I was watching VAGCOM meas. (I think number 14 or 15 - showing misfires.) It only showed cylinder 3 misfiring, none of the others. And again, this is only at idle. As soon as I go over 1000 rpm, there is no misfire - as shown in vagcom.

The coil pack and leads have all been replaced. As I said, this only happens in cylinder 3, at idle.

Golf Mk4 GTi 2.0 2002

Any help is appreciated!

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Bad injector by the sounds of it [:-B]

3. SafferYork New Member

Fasteddie would that cause a misfire only at idle (and a misfire to the point that I can't actually feel it when it's happening?)

How would I go about testing the injector?

I can clear the code in vagcom and it will stay off for an hour or it stays off for 2 or 3 days on end...there is no set time that the CEL stays off...

4. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Check condition of plugs first if not known
    Check wiring to coil packs and earths
    Check vacuum pipes
    Easy way to check injector, remove and switch it with one or the others and check to see does the fault move :)

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Any progress on this SafferYork?

6. SafferYork New Member

Toyotec, plugs are all good, earth's are all good, coils are new....
    Hooked up to Vagcom, and adjusted the idle from 128 to 133 in adaptions (01 - Engine). Since doing this 3 days ago, I haven't had any CEL showing.... its raised the idle speed by +- 50 - 100 RPM ....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. SafferYork New Member

Toyotec, you tempted fate.... CEL came back on this afternoon, after a 160 mile drive....came on as I was coming through town in slow moving traffic, about 1 mile from home...

8. SafferYork New Member

So what are the chances of a perished oil cap seal being the cause for this? Could it be causing a vacuum leak?