Another tyre size question!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by robertnes, Nov 17, 2003.

1. robertnes Forum Member

Right, i bought a set of 2nd hand BBS alloys for my mk11 gti dont know what type - think they might be off a mk111 cabrio, but anyway, the tyres are almost done and im about to order a new set of toyos but not sure what size to get, the current michelins i have on are 195/50 R15. Isnt 185/55 R15 the standard size for mk11? can someone please tell me what size i need to get, im confused? cheers

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

185/55 is std size for a mk2 on 15's - but 195/50 work well, and are often cheaper to get in a decent type

3. robertnes Forum Member

Thanks for that... got a quote from national tyres for 196 quid for 4 toyos proxes t1-s (185/55 R15), seems reasonable but will probably get from my local garage they usually beat the big company's.

4. Drew21 Forum Member

195 50 15 would give the correct rolling radius (same as 185 60 14)

5. GTI

GTI Forum Member

Not exactly the same. The 15's will make your speedo read very slightly higher than it should (but no so much as to be really noticable)

There was a link to an online calulator that did speedo readings, diameters, raidus etc. on the old site.