Antiroll bar, touching chassis, normal or something wrong?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Todd Motto, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Todd Motto Forum Member

MK2 Golf - I’ve currently got the wheels off the car and both steering arm tie rods off the car. Then today noticed that the anti roll bar was extremely close if not touching the body of the underside of the car.

NOTE: the car has a thick layer of under seal, maybe 2-4mm, so this also may play a part.

The antiroll bar moves freely (I’ve taken the endlinks off) but is there something wrong with the positioning here? As far as I can tell there are just a few bolts that hold the whole subframe on, in terms of being able to “adjust it”.

Challenging to take a decent photograph, hopefully these will demonstrate. Thanks all. Any photos of your cars antiroll bars would also be interesting. As far as I’m aware the subframe is a stock MK2 that’s been sprayed in an awful yellow. I’m also not sure why the antiroll bar is blue either…
    IMG_6906.jpeg IMG_6913.jpeg IMG_6912.jpeg IMG_6916.jpeg IMG_6915.jpeg IMG_6918.jpeg

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not upside down is it? I remember seeing someone else say something similar

3. Todd Motto Forum Member

Crikey that’s a question. Can you tell from the photo and the orientation of this bend? IMG_6930.jpeg

4. Todd Motto Forum Member

P.S. these are wide track wishbones, does that mean a different ARB is required for fitting given the extra length? This is what came on the car and I’ve only noticed because the previous owner put the bones on the wrong sides and I’m swapping them now!

5. watercooled Forum Member

Could be the bushes are worn or they were replaced with ones that were too big ,sorry but don't remember the size of the swaybar .

6. stephen stanyer Forum Member

If the roll bar is fitted upside down it gets very very close to steering rack [power steering rack]

7. Todd Motto Forum Member

Just manual steering rack here which is nice as I prefer that on this car for sure. It’s definitely not close to the rack!

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to my eye that does look upside down, but I've only messed with 4 stud stuff personally so you'll want to get confirmed by someone who has

9. Todd Motto Forum Member

Okay I think that it’s in the correct position, if it was upside down then I imagine that the curve at the end would be the opposite direction therefore pushing the bar upwards and getting very close to the steering tie rods?… IMG_6961.jpeg IMG_6960.jpeg IMG_6959.jpeg

10. Todd Motto Forum Member

Very loosely fitted (placed) in position… IMG_6962.jpeg

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the angle of the drop links makes me think its upside down as well, the tie rods go into the top of the bearing carriers so plenty of room for those

12. Todd Motto Forum Member

Thanks for chiming in! I haven’t tightened the strut nuts at the top of the suspension struts just yet and the arms are fully lowered. I’m not sure on clearance but we will see. I’ve decided to order a brand new subframe anyway, so she’s gonna get some new bits and an excuse to swap it if needed. It’s a shame you need to drop it to swap the swap bar regardless!