antivirus system 2011 removal

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by prof, Feb 12, 2011.

1. prof Forum Addict

anyone know how to get rid of this virus? the online guides are all badly written and appear as bogus as the virus itself

2. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

Try downloading MSE from microsoft let it install and run a full scan then it should if it finds it let you remove it or boot into safe mode check whats in startup and see if you can delete the it from there...
    MSE is your best bet as it finds every thing

3. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

ALSO TRY:
    Remove AntiVirus System 2011 start-up entry by going to Start > Run, type msconfig on the “Open” dialog box. System Configuration Utility will open. Go to Startup tab and uncheck the following Startup item(s):
    Edit Windows registry and delete AntiVirus System 2011 entries:
    Click Start > Run
    Type regedit at the box
    Click OK
    Windows registry will appear.:Look for and remove:
    AntiVirus System 2011 Registry Entries:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AntiVirus System 2011
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “AntiVirus System 2011?
    HKCU\Software\AntiVirus System 2011
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “[random]?
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “Security Manager”

OTHER FILES ADDED BY ANTIVIRUS SYSTEM 2011 LOOK FOR THESE AND DELETE:
    Malicious Files Added by AntiVirus System 2011:
    %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Application Data\AntiVirus System 2011\
    %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Application Data\AntiVirus System 2011\AntiVirus_System_2011.exe
    %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Application Data\AntiVirus System 2011\IcoActivate.ico
    %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Application Data\AntiVirus System 2011\IcoHelp.ico
    %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Application Data\AntiVirus System 2011\IcoUninstall.ico
    %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Application Data\AntiVirus System 2011\securityhelper.exe
    %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Application Data\AntiVirus System 2011\securitymanager.exe
    %Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temp\[random].exe
    %Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temp\[random].tmp

4. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

restart pc
    tap F8 to get startup options
    start in safe mode with networking

download malwarebytes antimalware
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

check for updates e.g. new definitions to detect more recent nasty stuff

run that on full-scan mode

get rid of whatever it detects

then restart, safe-mode again and do one more scan incase it missed something

then should be good to run normal windows

^ have done this on 3 different machines and fixed problem

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

This.
    If it doesn't work, post on the forums of malwarebytes, and they'll walk you through the process. I can't recommend them highly enough. I've been given a couple of infectedc computers to fix because "he knows about computers". I work with databases, not Windows. Sigh.

6. prof Forum Addict

thanks guys, the whole registry edit looks a bit tricky, is there any free stuff that will fix it?

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

what I posted up was link to free program that will solve it for u and you dont have to go into registry yourself

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

As above, Malware Bytes is free. If yo've got something it can't deal with, the forum helpers will get rid of it for you.

9. vidfletch Forum Member

Boot into Safemode with Networking by tapping F8. If it gives you the option of booting as Administrator choose that otherwise don't worry. Download Malwarebytes free as suggested and do a full scan. Depending on severity of infection you might not be able to download it so borrow another PC and download the installation file to a USB stick and install from that. I always load it this way if fixing someones machine. I also use Spybot loaded and run in the same way. They both tend to pick up files seperately. In the vast majority of cases this should work. If it doesn't, to be honest, you'd be better backing up your files, photos, music etc, and formatting the hard drive and reloading windows. Then put your backed up stuff back on. Sounds a hassle but less hassle than fannying about chasing for infected files. Your machine will run better too.

Always have a decent anti-virus program (not that they pick this up) and an anti-spyware program like Spybot. Everyone has different opinions on what to use but I have always used AVG Free Antivirus, Zonealarm Firewall and Spybot combined. Never had a problem and we have several PCs and laptops used at home. As far as paid products are concerned, NORTON's products work but will drive you mental with their nannying interruptions. Kaspersky is quite good and doesn't interfere too much and covers most bases. I have never thought much of McAfee software though.

10. prof Forum Addict

prevx finds loads of problems, but spybot and malwarebytes say everything's now cool

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

At this point I'd recommend one of two things.

If you're good at reinstalling windows, back up everything you need and do that.

If you don't want to do that, register on the malwarebytes forum here, and ask for help. If you do this sort of thing yourself you're likely to cause more damage.

12. prof Forum Addict

I've not got all the software for a full reinstall

13. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

It's worth noting that few viruses these days don't install other undetectable evilness so removal of one identified nasty is not a guarantee of safety.

I personally would back up everything you need to keep and entirely wipe the hard drive before re-installing. Remember to install a decent virus scanner and update it before trying to restore the backups!

14. turbotommy Forum Member

Well worthy thread this :-)

15. Admin Guest

:thumbup:
    the programme I use and windows defender didn't pick anything up, yet my laptop had something on it, gids knows where from having not been anywhere dodgy, loaded up malwarebytes and scanned. cleaned up and running ok now:)