Any Headunit Experts About?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by SimonG, Feb 6, 2011.

1. SimonG Forum Member

I have a Kenwood Mask KRC-778R headunit and I have a problem with the display, sometimes it could work ok (not for long), then could flicker at me and then not work at all, then be ok. All the buttons do still work regardless.

I had changed the ribbon a few years back, i've checked it over again, can't see any breaks or tears in it and have also checked for continuity, so all appears to be good. Still have no change to previously mentioned fault. Could this be an issue with power going to the display (seems unlikely as the buttons work) or could there be a fault with the facia panel itself?

The electronic revolving mechanism still works fine.

2. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

displays dont last forever how long you had it for? is it a "face-off" type sometimes the connector pins get bent back over time with use and need to be pushed out so they make good contact....

3. SimonG Forum Member

I've looked at the connectors as well, seem to be ok. I've had it for 10.5 years.

4. SimonG Forum Member

Update. It appeared to be the headunit that was at fault, got a cheapy replacement from ebay, put my facia on it and seems to be ok now and has not flickered at all :)

It got me thinking, is there any form of a voltage stabiliser thingy inside headunits?