Any metallurgists? Crazy cheap driveshafts

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by EZ does it, Jan 30, 2014.

1. EZ does it Forum Member

ECP are doing brand new fully dressed Q-Drive driveshafts for a MK2 at the moment for 42 per side.

I'm not affiliated, just thought people might be interested. Their website puts the list price at 250 sriver side and 295 passenger side[:s]

Driver side

Passenger side

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I did notice these a while back, and I was interested myself, so started a similar post in the driveshafts length thread.

Chris did quote that if they are reconditioned items, there may be a possibility that they do not know what lengths the driveshafts are, as there are a few different variations for the MK2, which did put me off.

They could well be good items.

3. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Q-drive are ****, we use these shaft on our taxis all the time, 10k miles and the CV's are ****ed.
    every q-drive bush ive ever used had lasted no more than a couple of months either.

my advice is avoid.

4. twolitrepinto Forum Member

original peugeot shafts on a peugeot expert 2007 onwards, last 100k ish local taxi abuse, q-drive about 10-20k if your lucky.
    we refuse to accept Q-drive stuff any more for our taxi's false economy when they do the miles

5. EZ does it Forum Member

Some interesting points here, and a quick bit of digging seems so show no end of forum complains about Q-Drive stuff. Unfortunately, muggins here already bought a pair.

Considering the awful condition mine are in at the moment I'm going to fit them anyway, hope for the best, and start saving for some GKN stuff lol

On a slighty more serious note, considering the poor reviews, I'm going to replace the grease with Redline CV2 based on it's good reviews, and hope that it'll squeeze some more life out of them.

In the interests of science (and any excuse to take something apart) I've dismantled the NS one ready for re-greasing and taken notes:

Bare shaft length is 434mm, pretty close to the 432mm stated in the driveshaft length thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inner bit from the inner joint, looks normal to me, but I'm no expert

[​IMG]

Outer bit from the inner joint, some kind of surface treatment, but looks shoddy. Anyone care to comment?

[​IMG]

And this seems to be why people are saying they're s***, it looks like it's been remachined, removing all of the case hardening, and not re-treated. Just soft steel exposed to huge loads. The black strips are the remains of the old race, complete with heat treatment:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Lot of fail going on there lol

7. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

great, I think these are what I had fitted to my mk2[:s]

8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I got some CV joints from them for one of my mk4
    Had to take Them back after they didn't fit
    I could of made them fit but didn't see why I should

Ended up getting a good second hand one and fitting new boots

9. Stu32 New Member

If they're cheap enough, could have them heat treated yourself to improve them?

10. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Unfortuantly, I have also bought a set from the seller on ebay selling cheap mk1 100mm complete units.
    A little pi55ed off as I wasn't expecting Q drive considering he's had great feedback about them.

As it stands I don't give a monkeys as I need the car on the road this yeay, and I can go from there. But as they say, time will tell lol

Had a change of heart, emailed the seller stating I wasn't happy and want to know the warranty on them. If I knew they were Qdrive I'd have bought them direct from ECP.

This cheeky bstard is selling them as OEM quality. Booo, no fair!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  11. twolitrepinto Forum Member

theyre fine at first (if they fit), usually nice and tight. but they wear a lot faster than they should, probably due to that re-machined non-harderned steel right where the load is.

if you remove these shafts after just a few thousand miles i can garuntee you the cv's will be as loose as something very loose :p

12. Hotgolf

Like a pipe FLANGE ;)

13. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I've just purchased a pair of CV's from Eurocar parts as they reckon 3.2 Audi TT outer CV's have 36/27 splines which should suit Gemini shafts and Passat B6 wheel hubs. At 23.00 for CV's, boots, grease and a fitting kit I'm not expecting much, I just want to see if they fit.

What the hell they will make of 224bhp, a sequential dog box and sticky slicks will be interesting! Be lucky if they do 100 miles per year though.

14. Hotgolf

Mr B, Gemini assembled and pics taken, will text you tomorrow :)

15. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Tony the ones I got fouled on the back of the bearing carrier
    Would needed ground down a bit the taper was the wrong angle