Any negative effects from a lightened flywheel?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by monkeyzoo, Sep 24, 2007.

1. wcrado Forum Member

Hotgolf will usually send you one first, then you return yours as exchange. You might need to send him the pressure plate though so he can balance it.

Well worth doing, and you probably won't do a better mod to your car for 67.

I've still got my original flywheel that i removed from my car once i fitted Hotgolf's lightened jobbie. Supposed to send it back to him but i've emailed him about it a few times to try and get his address and he hasn't replied!! I presume he doesn't want it, so its going spare if anyone needs it for lightening.

2. prof Forum Addict

there are potential downsides, it may make your engine resonate and damage itself at certain revs, however the evidence seems that for most VWs it's ok

only real issues seems to be with the dual mass on 02j boxes and some extra vibration at idle

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

66,68 67. So how much will he do one for me?? Hotgolf lowest bid lightend flywheel. lol!!

4. monkeyzoo Forum Member

What is the purpose of the flywheel. Are they purely there as a store of kenetic energy?

5. monkeyzoo Forum Member

WTF - can do without that. Is it that this can happen on some car types or that this can happen on any car but doesn't seem common on most VW's. I have a 16v Mk3. ANy further advise?

OK, I understood the "some extra vibration at idle" but why is this?

"dual mass on 02j boxes" - ??? Something to do with gearboxes but I haven't a clue what!

6. prof Forum Addict

flywheels are there to store energy and damp vibration, and move potentially damaging
    vibrations out of the rev range normally used

In a mk3 16v application i wouldn't worry, a hotgolf lightened flywheel will be fine.

the 02j gearboxes, early A3 and mk4 5 spd gearboxes, come with a 2 part flywheel, when this is replaced with a single piece one it tends to rattle a little, but this may be dependant on clutch choice

bit more here

7. monkeyzoo Forum Member

I guess this is why it is better to balanced with everything else - less vibration??

Cheers Prof (& all!)

8. paul_c Forum Member

45 at local engineering shop, for me.

9. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I went to my local shop too years ago for 1. He took sod all off, and balanced it to his spare tractor wheel.
    66-67-68 gets you postage too.
    Unfourtuantly I can't do sod all for a while, until I get my own lathe and mill setup :(

10. monkeyzoo Forum Member

Hotgolf. When you're sorted PM me. I want one.

Thanks

11. paul_c Forum Member

Agree, obviously once you include postage, your price is comparable. I struggled to find a place who'd do it, until eventually I found one 8 miles away. I'm collecting it tomorrow, I'll let you know how much they've taken off.

12. nibbzy Forum Member

ide be more worried about how well balanced it is myself... hotgolf same again fella ill be needing one for my mk2 oettinger converison thats being started in 3 weeks at long last... i spoke to ya before just letting ya know i need one when ur ready fella cheers and keep up the good work

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

I have myself a hotgolf one also.

14. Importkiller1 New Member

yep i agree totally

15. monkeyzoo Forum Member

How big a job is it to get the flywheel out?

16. Jettin' Forum Member

As prof has said it helps make the engine run to smoother. If you take to much weight off the flywheel you can make the engine run lumpier at low revs and more prone to stalling when idleing or pulling away.

I've had mine done, only cost about 40 from a professional engine builder. Quasar Engineering in Stockport, they also balanced the crank, pulleys and plate while I was at it (although this did cost more). They make race engines so I'm happy with their reputation and their work looks spot on.

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I too have Hotgolf flywheel + many other Hotgolfed parts.

18. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

i had a 6lb Fidanza one on mine (stock weight 18lb). It was quite easy to stall it, i found you had to have a lot more revs on to pull away.

it did rev like a bike engine though, made the car 'feel' lighter (if that's possible?).

19. paul_c Forum Member

I picked up my flywheel today (VR6). My instructions were to go easy and not take too much off, not to make it unsafe or weak or anything. It started out at 7.5kg and they took 1.5kg off it.

20. Dubnutter Forum Member

Inertia is put simply energy stored in the flywheel at a certain constant speed, when the power is reduced, the stored energy trys to keep the flywheel turning until the energy stored runs out. this helps on initialy hitting a hill because less engine power is required to maintain a certain speed.

but this can also hinder acceleration and engine breaking because it takes energy to store energy, so the engine has to work harder to turn the wheel.

finaly, lighted flywheels that have been botched or poorly done make the engine vibrate like mad and very unsocaible at low speeds. the flywheels secondry job is to smooth off the up and down motion of the pistions and absord any vibration and un even firing etc.

iv had a lighted flywheel, and if done properly they are great, there is just enough weight to help the engine, but at the same time light enough to let it rev freely and quikly
    sorry to be a know-it-all etc, just thought id give a bit of info seens as iv had one or two on different cars