anyone know a difference.....

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by deamon90002004, Sep 17, 2013.

1. deamon90002004 New Member

hey all, im confused badly about the model of corrado g60 im looking at, i managed to get a reg of one i will be looking at on saturday, i put it into my works computer and it came up as a corrado g60 lhd, i go on parkers and it lists an lhd model too, but to me lhd means left hand drive, the car was made for the uk market so right hand drive and was never imported, so can anyone enlighten me as to what the LHD stands for?

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

As far as I know it can only mean left-hand drive. Has it by any chance been imported and converted?

3. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Weren't the very early cars (MY89) imported LHD by the concessionaire?

4. deamon90002004 New Member

One of the corrado forums got back to me and said first few years, they released lhd only with the option to go to rhd at extra cost

5. watercooled Forum Member

Thats sound correct to me ,I think production was targeted @ the USA/Euro market to start with,my car is an early one (1989) and apparently cost around 56,000 NZD new,we have records going right back on this car,my sons mk2 GTI is an 87 model imported to NZ (from the UK) with low mileage and was 35,000NZD so I think the original owner of my corrado payed a premium for the rhd option,tells you they were very expensive for the day and this accounts for there low production numbers in VW terms anyway.
    My car is only 1 of 7 registed in New Zealand ,some of this number were Jap imports that weren't new,I believe the rest imported were lhd drive and used for parts or conversion,appears there was 6 that came in from my research.

6. deamon90002004 New Member

ah sounds good, im looking forward to seeing this car on saturday, i've put uprated linkages on my mk2 golf, would they fit on a g60 raddo?

7. kerrly Forum Member

^ Yes the early UK corrados were LHD, some F plate an G plate. No you cannot use your linkage kit as corrado G60s use cable change gear box.

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Corrado's were only ever planned to be LHD originally, they moved onto producing RHD 16v's from factory in mid 1989 after initial take up wasn't as expected. The G60 was a RHD option from 90/91. :thumbup:

Would be interesting to know the registration and manufacture dates.

Here's one of my Vw press photos, a very early G60 used as a press testing car. LHD as you can see.

[​IMG]

The very car featured on Top gear.
    [video=youtube;9nem-nf_Kro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nem-nf_Kro[/video]

Neil.

9. vrbanana Forum Junkie

We had one of the first Corrado's dropped off at the dealership for a customer to look at prior to ordering one, it was one VW used for the motoring press in the UK and it was LHD. We went I to work early and gave it a workout before anyone turned up, like you do ;)

10. watercooled Forum Member

Most likely an 88 model cause they were all LHD as far as I have read,hope you didn't thrash it too hard;);)