Anyone know what this is called?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Feb 13, 2024.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

just discovered a hissing noise from my engine. Found this green nipple with hole in it. Covered it with hand and hissing stopped? Anyone know what it’s called so I can buy a replacement?

I’m going on road trip tomorrow. Is it serious enough to cause breakdown on motorway? Will take wife’s car if it is.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

The green part looks like the cap that fits over a vacuum pipe take off piece. They just push on, but yours looks broken. Sorry that I can't help with a part number tho

paulm2322 and Zender Z20 like this.
  3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

As above... there's a very similar blanking cap for an unused port on the MK1, yours looks to be the same thing.

I took mine off so as to access the vacuum... it was an extremely tight fit, had to eventually cut a slit in it in the end, it may even have been heat shrunk on to give you an idea of how tight a seal it was.

Looked at the time for a replacement, because I'm sad like that... it was 056129777A

I'd imagine you'd not need the exact same thing as long as you make sure it's as well re-sealed to do its job.

paulm2322 likes this.
  4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

paulm2322 likes this.
  5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, just a cap. Cap it off with whatever you have to hand as long as it isn't small enough to get sucked in ;)

paulm2322 likes this.
  6. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for all your help folks. Zender, I will order from that website. Cheers.