Anyone running a 1.9TD (AAZ) in a MK2?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Trev16v, May 21, 2008.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

My 1993 Seat Toledo 1.9TD (AAZ engine) has failed its MOT and will never see the road again, because the sills are rotten beyond belief.

So I want to shove the engine into my MK2 16V shell, which currently has a knocking 16V engine. I need a diesel because I do high miles, and a MK2 TD would be ace.

Obviously I have an entire donor car so I'm expecting it to be fairly straightforward. The Toledo seems to borrow a lot from the Golf MK2 anyhow. I think it's essentially the same underneath and inside the engine bay.

Will the lifter pump from my Toledo just screw onto the MK2's existing petrol tank? Then is it just a matter of draining the petrol from the tank and shoving the diesel in?

What about the exhaust? I am hoping that the Toledo's downpipe and intermediate exhaust sections will fit straight on, and it'll just be a matter of using a new backbox. Obviously the Toledo backbox has a very long exit pipe. I reckon if I cut that short then it would fit onto the MK2, but the backbox is rotting, so I'd just buy a Golf MK2 GTD backbox from GSF.

Anything else I need to consider? While I do this conversion I won't have a car, except the wife's which won't always be available. So I need it to be a quick conversion and become a reliable car afterwards.

Thanks

Trev

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

that a 90BHP TDI??

can't thing off the top of my head the full in's & outs

swap the fuels, no major issues - it may not have a lifter pump- take it anyway if so
    once you've got it running exhaust last on list, not seriously noisy with a straight though pipe
    pull the engine & box plus all drive train etc, best taking the wiring looms- most will end up spare- being a 93 it should have immobiliser- so all little box of tricks all part of the wiring loom

dropped a mk4 tdi in my mk2 over 3 weeks, involving wiring looms/ mk 4 sytems to a mk 2 dash - couple be done over bankholiday weekend with some spare time!

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  3. Trev16v

Thanks for the tips mate! It's just a TD. No intercooler. I suppose it's probably 75BHP. I know I could hunt around for another engine, rather than using the high-miler, oily non-TDI one that I have. But I have done over 50,000 miles using this engine and it continues to pull extremely well, so I don't think it deserves to be scrapped along with the car!

There is no immobiliser on the car.

The engine has 172,000 miles on it now. There are no problems with it as far as I can tell, other than it being covered in oil which I suspect is coming from the top somewhere, even though I did replace the rocker gasket recently. Maybe the sump. So with it in mind that I just want to chuck the engine into the MK2 without spending too much time on it, do you reckon the engine is probably okay for many more miles? It was fine in the MOT emissions test and it has no running problems. So I'm thinking of just replacing any bits that are easy to replace - such as clutch, sump gasket, etc. Also, the gearbox makes a rattle in neutral which may be the release bearing. The gearbox does whine a bit in low gear, but otherwise has never crunched. So regarding the gearbox - maybe I should just replace the flange seals, etc?

The timing belt was recently done. Near-failure of the old timing belt due to a stuck tensioner caused the belt to get extremely hot which melted the plastics around the belt a bit - I'd like to replace that.

Cheers

Trev

4. The General Forum Member

Have done the same conversion into a mk2. AAz from passat. Engine bolts straight in. Need to modify a few water hoses to use the mk2 radiator because water pump plastic housing has a different hose size on. Exhaust down pipe on the passat is the same as seat and fits into mk2 atreat with no modifiaction needed. All I did was weld a flange onto the existing exhaust to bolt to the passat down pipe because passat has a cat fitted and did not want that fitted. You do not need to fit a pump into tank. Mine was a driver so just has straight fuel lines from tank to diesel filter and then to pump. Yours will have a pump mounted under neath so you will need to cahnge fuel lines or bypass the pump assembly. I think the diameter of fuel pipe should be ample with the car being a valver so just bypass the pump from the tank and then drain tank and fill with diesel. Wiring loom needs changin to accomodate glow plug loom and injector pump cut off solenoid. dead easy conversion and really goes like stink for 90 bhp. great on dieseil as well. need any more info just ask. good luck.

5. Trev16v

Thanks mate - do you have any pictures of your conversion?

When I looked under the Seat on the lift today, I do remember something near the downpipe that looked like a cat. If that's what it was, presumably I might get some more oomph without it, but on the other hand could the car then fail emissions?

If I can just use the existing 16V exhaust system with the Seat downpipe with a bit of welding then that would be great. However, is there any reason not to have the standard 16V silencers? Should I consider replacing any of them with straight-through pipes? I don't know much about diesel exhaust systems at all and I was surprised to see very few silencers on my Seat.

Trev

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  6. The General Forum Member

Emissions will only be a problem if the fueling system is at fault. Eliminating the cat from the system will have no effect only give you a few more ponies. I have a standard 8v exhaust system on mine with centre silencer and rear silencer. Will be fine to use as much of 16v system as you can. weld the saeat cat flange onto the centre section and away you go. sorry got no pics at the mo and camera has gone tits up but can send when new camera but you will have probably done it by then. is the seat g/box rod change and clucth cable or are you converting to hydraulic and cable change. I have fitted o2a hydraulic in mine when engine was removed. Y ou will need to use seat accelrator cable if same as mk2 because of clippped end on injection pump being different to petrol mk2.

7. Trev16v

It's a rod-change gearbox in the Seat, with a clutch cable. Makes things nice and easy.

8. The General Forum Member

Will be a nice job when you have done it. very please with mine. Also converted mine to power steering as well. Just make sure that your AAZ crank pulley bolt has been changed and that you have no wobble from bottom pulley as these have a tendency to break crank bolts and then cambelt drops off = bent valves = damage to pocket. good luck with conversion.

9. Trev16v

Thanks for advice regarding the crank bolt. Shall add this to the list of bits to get.

By the way I've been assuming all along that the engine in my Toledo is an AAZ but never actually checked. It's a 1.9TD, not TDi, and has no intercooler.

10. The General Forum Member

Should be AAZ if it is TD. Tdi engines are 1z I think. I am looking into adding an intercooler, either gtd on or a front mount one. Should give a few more ponies I hope.

11. golfgtioz. Forum Member

has anyone fitted a 1Z 1.9tdi engine to there mk2 .. i have a full engine box ecu wiring ect was going to fit it into my t4 van but might be quite good in the golf the way fuel costs are going ..

12. voteforpedro Forum Member

I've got intercooler and piping from my AHU TDi up for grabs... should just bolt straight up.

13. voteforpedro Forum Member

AHU 90bhp
    1Z 110bhp (early "GTD" non-PD)

14. shane d Forum Member

I have an aaz in my mk2. it was the easiest transplant i ever did. Switched power fused line for pump solenoid and plug in your heater relay and take a wire from position Z1 spade at bottom right rear of fuse box, alu fuse it and bring to heater plugs. I bought a kit from germany which i am currently fitting to mine which includes a new aneroid pin for the injector pump and a variable pressure regulator for the turbo and a mercedes sprinter intercooler complete with all pipe work which is reported to up power to the 120 mark. More info on vw gtd website.

15. Trev16v

It's a bit of a shame I suppose but I did not do this conversion in the end. I ended up selling the Toledo to another forum user. The new plan is to just repair the spare MK2 I have and keep it as a GTI, and then sell it. Then I'll use that money to fund another Toledo or something. My issue is that I really do want a big estate barge type of a car, preferably bigger than the MK2!

Thanks for the advice though. This is something I may still do in the future and hopefully this thread will be useful for other people who want to do this.