AOL & the devil that is program named DialBB

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by fthaimike, Mar 18, 2008.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Anyone on here with AOL? (if your not i am not after anti-aol comments please just advice).

If so have you had trouble with your connection?

I have been with them for years without any issues but since they were taken over by Car Phone Warehouse & migrated to different servers & installed a program called DialBB on my PC it has been terrible.

found some info here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=770095

I did find this handy for anyone who wants to see what is available to their line:
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

I haven't checked but i don't think i am anywhere near the end of the present contract at the moment.

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Whats been your problem with the connection?

Im guessing you cant just uninstall the program[:^(]

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Nope it is a part of AOL now & i often loose connection or cannot get on at all.

It's fine for now but is temprimental.

If i was warned i wouldn't have reinstalled AOL & lost a load of my favourites.

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

*Must resist slating AOL, must resist s...*

This is not necessarily a problem with AOL, it could be a line problem. I had something very similair (I'm with TalkTalk), and there was a damaged fuse in a box on our line.
    Is your phone line noisy?

Do you have a router that allows you to measure line attenuation and/or noise margin? IF so, try and log those, and see what happens. For instance, if your noise margin drops below about 6 (IIRC), your connection won't be able to sustain itself, and will drop, and start hunting for a new one.

HTH

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

No it's a problem a lot of people are getting, try typing "dialbb" into google...

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Mike, a friend had exactly the same problems you describe. I spent hours talking to idiot tech support people who just kept trying to get me to go through the same steps I'd already done repeatedly.
    Eventually got through to a guy, said she was quitting AOL and explained why.
    His answer - "What kind of modem are you using? A lot of them just don't like our new system, I get this all the time!"
    She had a BT whatever modem, I took it out and put on a netgear wirelss router she had anyway, just using it as a straight modem, no wireless.
    Not a dropped or refused connection since!

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

AOL have a list of 'approved' modems (or at least they did when I was a subscriber a couple of years ago) which should be easy to find on their website. First think I'd do is check if you're in that list.

8. Collie Forum Junkie

i had major issues with the aol bt broadband modem. i swapped to a speedtouch one,used from ebay. never drops out now.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That's exactly what she was using. Then when she renewed her contract they sent her the Netgear wireless router, but it was never installed because the other one was fine. Then AOL migrate and it goes mental, so i stuck in the Netgear one and it's 100%.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

Thanks for that, i have another non aol modem here packed away i will try that next time it goes ape.

11. Matt G Forum Member

Ours has been showing "not responding" quite a bit and seems as though its getting more often too.

Not happy like.

It took a month and a half for the fookwits at aol to deliver the f'king laptop in the first place. The delivery numpties were looking for a house - not a flat despite me informing them 1) when i signed up and 2) in every bloody phonecall i had to make to the inbreeds.

AOL are officially on my c'nt list.