Appreciate your input!

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Corum, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Corum New Member

I'm not new here, but this is my first post, so hello!
    Sorry in advance for the ramble...
    I have owned a pretty stock Mk5 GTI DSG 5 door from new. I ordered it with the options I wanted and have the full history, receipts etc. Mileage now 192k. It's been a fantastic servant for 17 years but the car needs some attention and I don't have the skills, time or facilities to undertake them.
    Bodywork: start of some rust on front wings and sills, a few chips too. Wheels need a refurbishment and one is misshaped.
    Climate: needs new unit and one of the fans has stopped working too.
    Interior: very good but driver seat leather bolster has tear (Vienna)
    Electrics: there is a power drain - probably linked to a faulty door module.
    Suspension: largely original so could do with a refresh.
    Exhaust: original
    It's never been thrashed, near a track, or been in an accident - I'm reluctant to let it die. The engine and gearbox still feel very strong.
    I don't think there will be many sole owner examples out there but it has been used as a daily and therefore does have 'high' mileage. As a result, I'm not sure any enthusiasts will want to take it on as a 'project' because however much it's improved it will still have the mileage. Am I right?

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’ll take it off your hands for you mate ;)

people will want it :)

3. Savagesam

I’ll take it off your hands for you mate ;)

people will want it :)

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Sam is so keen he said it twice:lol:

I think that if you are prepared to spend a bit of money and tackle one job at a time it can remain a good car and you can keep driving it. It doesn’t sound too bad as is. Also, FWIW and IMHO, the mk5 was the first of the decent looking golfs after the mk2……..I’ll get me coat……

Savagesam likes this.
  5. Corum New Member

Thanks for your comments. I DO still enjoy driving it, but my wife won't be a passenger after we broke down a couple of years ago...gear selector unit failed and was replaced - pretty expensive part and labour...
    Conflicted [:-B]

6. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Mileage will be a problem come resale if trying to get a decent price to offset the costs you'll put in getting sills and wings sorted. Probably best to sell it on as project from a financial prospect assuming it still has MOT unless you plan to keep it for many more years and not sell at all.

I have found, and a couple of my cars are high miles - 155 / 162 k - that regardless of how well sorted they are people would sooner rather have a lower mileage car (that will likely still need all the work when we're talking 20-25+ yr old cars) than pay the same for a higher mile sorted car. Weird but that is the market.

7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

It is true the mileage reduces its value considerably.
    Alternatively, spend nothing and enjoy it until it dies and then sell it as parts. From the sounds of it you have another car otherwise your wife would never go anywhere?

8. Savagesam

I bought my current car on 160k and it’s now on 200k!

I also agree, best looking golf after the mk2!

You either cut your losses, sell it cheap or put some money in and cheap it.

I must have had a dodgy connection as it didn’t upload the first time [:D]

9. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

I'm going to start crying about my cute little mk3 if this mk5 business continues.

Corum and PhilRyder like this.
  10. Corum New Member

Thanks all. It's got 10 months MOT and was serviced in August. I think that rather than spend too much on it, I'll run a rag over it and advertise it for sale. Or find a place to store it!